It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Latest issue M9R engine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna 2.0 dCi (173) 225/55/18 Tyres
Year/Plate: 2014 (14 plate)
Colour: Silver
Noticed the following on the You+ Nissan App:

"Nissan has identified the following potential issue(s) that may affect your T31

- 2.0L Diesel Engine Bearings (P3230)

Please get in touch with your nearest dealer immediatly so any necessary repairs can be conducted by our professional technicians, free of charge."

This sounds bad, is it?

Graham

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Latest recall
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:17 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Adventura
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Champagne Silver
Possibly but more information is required.

It could mean any number of bearings !
We tend to think of engine bearings as Crankshaft bearings or camshaft bearings but there are many more, every moving part has a bearing (Bushing)

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Thanks, wondered if the P3230 was an indicator to more knowledgeable members than me as to what the problem is?

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am 
Extreme Off Roader

That I do not have enough knowledge to answer...... But while I'm here "I need to raise steam, Do I need a requisition for a sky hook?" :bigcry:

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: Tekna
Year/Plate: 4/2012
Colour: red
Mods: side steps, amateur radio,
Firstly this not a safety recall and is a voluntary service campaign, what it will involve is your local Nissan dealership reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM). The approximate time to complete this is within 20 minutes.

Our ongoing quality monitoring has identified a potential concern related premature engine bearing wear for the 2.0 litre diesel engine used on
Qashqai / Qashqai+2 (J10) and X-Trail (T31). I am writing to let you know that your vehicle falls within the range of potentially affected vehicles.
Nissan has identified that in a small number of cases when operating under a high load, high engine speed and severe driving conditions, the engine bearings may wear.
In the unlikely event this issue occurs you can identify an abnormal engine noise or lack of engine power. If this engine noise or lack of power is ignored and you continue to operate the vehicle, then in extreme cases the engine may stall due to seizure of the main or connecting rod bearings.

What corrective action will Nissan take?

Nissan will reprogram the Engine Control Module to reduce the maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute. As a result, the engine
will no longer operate in a high load and high engine speed condition that may cause premature bearing wear.
The reduction in maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute will not affect the maximum speed of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
So downgrading is the solution for mechanical fault? :blowup@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:14 pm 
Xtrail Nut

That can only mean one of two things:

1. The ECU program was incorrect and allows the engine in it's current state, to exceed it's original design limits. In this case, applying the correct ECU flash would be logical.

2. Under the current engine loads, revs etc, the bearing has a critical design issue - the quick fix is to flash the ECU and keep labour and parts cost down . . . the original issue still remains.

Eoin

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:42 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Just received the following from my Dealer:

"Having spoken to my service advisors they have assured me this is not a major issue and please do no worry too much about it!

The chances of any fault in the car are minimal and they have not had instructions from Nissan to recall the X'trail for inspection.

It is a customer led procedure were a noise would be heard and lead the customer to contact us.

You look after your car and the workshop will pick up any problems when you are in for normal servicing etc.
as usual if you are concerned that the vehicle is in any way underperforming etc let them Know."

Don't know whether to be more worried or reassured!

The dealer is Western in Edinburgh.

Graham.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:53 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail T31
Model: Tekna 173 Bose
Year/Plate: 09/59
Colour: Twilight Grey
Mods: Just fitted Witter tow bar ,latest adition a dash cam, also replaced Nissans stupid wet f**t horns for 2 much louder.old 4year old dash cam packed in , now fitted with a nextbase 481GW cam GPS + Wi Fi
Bad news that :headbang: so they are more or less saying the big end shells or mains are not up to the job when under high load /speed, probably to do with DPF faults when regenerating and putting excess diesel into the sump

Never liked Renault rubbish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Prior to engine management systems engines had governor weights built into the distributor or injection pump these prevented the engine over revving & possibly failing due to the engine going faster than the internal components could keep up, i.e.: The cam opening the valve before the spring was able to return the valve to the closed position from the previous cycle.

So I am assuming the ECU was set with a governor setting higher than the designed RPM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next