It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest issue M9R engine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
Had mine done on the 31st - can't say I've noticed any difference at all.

Did you have a letter in the post? How did you know to go in?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Latest issue M9R engine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 am 

Mine was done on Friday - it happened to be in for a different fault, and they did this recall at the same time.

Other than that I have had no letter or advice about it

Jez

Post subject: New Recall - Just received
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am 

Well well, read about it now received it in the post today. Recall to re-program ECM to prevent the engine bearings wearing and potentially seizing the engine (!) as follows :

"Nissan has identified that in a small number of cases when operating under a high load, high engine speed and severe driving conditions, the engine bearings may wear.If the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition,in extreme cases the engine may stalldue to seizure of the main or connecting rod bearings"

I dont know what to make of that and what circumstances that may have happened - off roading ?

hmmm. kind of dents my confidence a bit if u can seize your engine ?

Doe anyone think there would be a rev limiter already ? i.e. to prevent red lining the revs and if so then its possible to seize the engine before the revs red line.

N

Post subject: Re: New Recall - Just received
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail T31
Model: Tekna 173 Bose
Year/Plate: 09/59
Colour: Twilight Grey
Mods: Just fitted Witter tow bar ,latest adition a dash cam, also replaced Nissans stupid wet f**t horns for 2 much louder.old 4year old dash cam packed in , now fitted with a nextbase 481GW cam GPS + Wi Fi
Yes it seems they are over revving i tried mine and it's going way over the red line on the rev counter , not that mine sees much over 3000 rpm in normal driving , but i just thought i'd try it to see how high the revs would go .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 pm 

Model: Aventura Explorer 2.0dCi 173bhp manual
Year/Plate: 57
Colour: Black
Mods: Tow Bar
Just rec'd my letter in the post. Awaiting call back from from my local Nissan Dealer. I'd be very interested to know more about the background to this and how reprogramming the ECM will "cure" the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Adventura
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Champagne Silver
No need to worry!

Engines are fitted with Governors to prevent over revving where components could catch themselves up & thus destroying the engine. ( i.e. Valve springs unable to fully close before being opened again)
In Pre engine management systems the injection pumps & distributors had balance weights in them to prevent this. (Working similar to the spherical weights you see above steam engines in the museums. The heavier the weight the slower the top RPM speed)

With engine management systems max RPM is set electronically, someone got their calculations wrong & the max speed is set to high for certain conditions, you will notice no difference to your torque or speed once adjusted.

(Rather than wrong calculations I would think certain users are taking their engine beyond what it was intended for so Nissan are just adding a better safety margin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:36 pm 
Xtrail Nut

ChrisNT wrote:
Just rec'd my letter in the post. Awaiting call back from from my local Nissan Dealer. I'd be very interested to know more about the background to this and how reprogramming the ECM will "cure" the problem.

Did the letter come from a dealer or from Nissan? Do Nissan know who owns a T31.

Presumably keeping well below the red line, which I do, does the same trick? I do however tow a caravan a lot and for example accelerating up to traffic speed on the motorway from a service station, the revs do build up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:07 pm 
Soft Roader

Also received the recall letter today. Sent by Nissan GB to original owners saying contact your local dealer. If you have sold on they include a Freepost envelope, addressed to Nissan, to enclose a tear off strip at the bottom of the letter which you fill in with the new owners address.

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:34 pm 

Which models are they recalling.? Mines an 07 it's still in a nissan garage as I'm not picking it up till next week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:44 pm 
Xtrail Nut

I was the second owner of my XT and it was last in a dealer for service before this all happened, although the dealer does have my details.

I signed up today with YOU+Nissan and the first thing that popped up was the recall notice. I have contacted my local dealer and they will do it next week once they have got a new update tool (theirs failed last week). I was told that it did not seem to apply to all T31s but all were being done. He confirmed that avoiding high revs is the important thing to do, which I normally do.

p.s. You+Nissan does not seem to like Internet Explorer 10 to register. I "chatted" to an advisor and Google Chrome does work (I believe Firefox too). Once registered Explorer 10 seems OK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next