It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DPF info
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:02 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
I would contact your local agent to sound him out if nothing else. Tell him what's happening, get a quote as web prices are recommended only, and don't forget to mention your financial situation, as it can sometimes make a difference. As well as the dpf clean, they could also help with finding source of soot and quote for repair. Advice doesn't usually cost anything

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:26 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Thanks Colster, that's well worth looking into.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:33 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Usually, there is a reason why the dp filter gets clogged. There is usually a reason for that. Injectors, egt sensor, or lambda.

Aftermarket ones are like 400€. Ask a garage, what they are installing with no complications.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
I had major issues with my last Saab and that was manual and did 90% long runs - 200 miles plus. I took it to a place in Norwich which actually cleaned out the DPF for around £200 if I recall. They then also did a forced regen and all was fine for 6 months then it did it again so we looked into it more and it was found to be the DPF sensor as being faulty - once replaced all was fine again. Interestingly my wifes 2010 1.6tdi Golf had exactly the same last year with DPF blocking - garage found it to be the EGR sensor not operating properly so car wouldn't initiate a re-gen even when I took it down road for 20 miles at 2500 revs.

When I bought this X Trail I ran this through it https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/archoil ... trate.html the difference in fuel economy was the first thing I noticed and engine seemed much smoother afterwards - having said that I have never seen the DPF light come on with mine - light comes on at start up so I know it's working but that's all. Car has now done 172k - rather a lot for a 2011 but hey ho still runs smooth with no rattles or anything from the engine; only the slightest whistle from turbo when engine v cold. I do use the best quality oil I can as well on service.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:30 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Hi Jim, my DPF light has come on at least 6 times if not more since I bought it last August. Twice the EML came on too resulting in my having to have two forced-regens. It won't self-regenerate with the EML on.

I'm a bit sceptical of additives as there is no conclusive proof with them. Are they "miracle cures" or "snake oil", I really don't know. I know people swear by various ones, but that isn't proof. I am equally sceptical about branded vs supermarket fuels too. Is it genuine or is it just "brand snobbery?" Again, I really don't know. All I do know is that I always ran my old (2000) diesel Volvo V70 automatic on the cheapest fuel I could get. I once tried a tankful of one of the so-called super-fuels in it and was very disappointed with the result. I know it was not a truly scientific test but my conclusion was that performance was absolutely no different, or at least I couldn't tell any difference, and the fuel consumption was actually very slightly worse on the "super-fuel". Needless to say I went straight back to using supermarket fuel. If anything it ran best and gave me the best consumption figures on Sainsbury, which is what I usually used as it was nearest to home. I sold the Volvo in 2018 with 186,000 on the clock and it still ran like a watch. Checking up I see that it is still taxed and MOTd, so I presume it is still being used.

I am beginning to think I have other problems with the X Trail which are causing the DPF light to come on. I don't use supermarket fuel in it, just in case, although I'm still not convinced its any different. I am going to try talking to my local Terraclean agent to see what they say. Maybe I'll have it cleaned by them or maybe I'll have the DPF changed for an aftermarket one. They are on Ebay at less than £300, which may even be cheaper than having mine cleaned. It may even just be a sensor problem, as the car still appears to run fine, even with the DPF and EML on. It doesn't go into limp mode or anything like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Have a look at this thread.

https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=43930

Lights could be on because of faulty pressure sensor, or because fault codes are still present after DPF cleaned. You might only need to have fault codes cleared!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I have no lights on at present, but every time I drive it now I'm waiting for the DPF light to come on again and hoping that I can get onto a fast road before the EML comes on otherwise its back to the garage for another forced regen. My local garage did the last forced-regen and cleared the EML to off, so I presume they also cleared the codes. I have a cheap code reader so I suppose I could check. It will tell me if there are any codes still in there, but when I tried to clear them myself last time it wouldn't work. It used to work with my previous car, a Hyundai Tucson, but it seems to only be able to read them with the X Trail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:13 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Read the code and then post it up here and see if it can be identified. I'm 99.9% it is a sensor and not the dpf itself. It only needs one little sensor to say 'not today thank you' and the regen won't happen - all the ducks have to be lined up for a regen to work.

I know it sounds bad but you might find it necessary to bite the bullet and get it to Nissan dealer when light does come up as pretty sure there are plenty of sub-menus normal code readers simply cannot get into but Consult can. For the sake of perhaps £100 quid that should say exactly what the issue is..................???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:16 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
It is talked alot here that when the service regen is done, the light sill is on in the dash. If they RTFM they will know that after a service regenm, the DPF values must be resetted.
Not common knowleage everywhere. Even here, in Estonia.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:46 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Well thanks to Covid-19 I haven't used the car anything like I would normally do so I haven't really done anything about the DPF, or had any issues with it. In fact we've hardly been out much at all since this time last year. I would normally do around 9,000 miles a year, but in the past year, thanks to Covid, I have only done 2,400. I topped up the fuel for the first time last week since way before Christmas, whereas normally I would be spending £100 to £150 a month. I took it for its MOT in January and had a couple of small issues attended to, but they were suspension related rather than to do with the DPF. Apparently there were no issues regarding emissions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next