It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: DPF info
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 DCi N-Tec +
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar + 13 pin electrics, mud flaps, front bug deflector side bump strips.
Bus-man wrote:
Kevxtrail wrote:
Local indy did forced regen with their "Zeus" OBD2 duberry. It ran for 40 minutes and switched the dpf and mil lights off with a final message advising an oil change asap.
So, all good again and an oil and filter change to do.
Looking at my fuelling history I can see that each time the light has come on in the past (actually 3 times) i filled up before from ASDA. Coincidence? Perhaps but I think I will give them a miss from now on.
K ;)

Maybe coincidence maybe not, I wish I had a definitive answer to that one. I used to use Sainsburys exclusively with my Volvo when at home, as it seemed to run best on it. But it had no DPF. When the DPF light came on first time with my X Trail I had recently filled up at Sainsburys. However, I stopped using it after that and only used branded fuel, so when the light came on next time the tank was full of Esso fuel. The issue of branded fuel vs supermarket fuel is one that generates a lot of controversy, and I'm not convinced one way or the other.

Always use Asda diesel in cars with DPF's never had a problem .

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:51 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Well I recently had to have a second forced regen done as the EML came on before I had a chance to take it for a good run. I tried it afterwards but it but it wouldn't do it on its own, just like last time.

Is it time to bite the bullet and have a new DPF fitted? The car has done a total of 115k miles since new, 4,335 miles in my ownership, and there was a gap of 3,555 miles between the two forced regens. At that rate I am going to need 3 forced regens a year. I don't do very many journeys of less than 15 miles, most journeys from my home at least start out on fast dual carriageways. Would a new DPF solve the problem or is my experience normal for a car like mine doing the sort of driving I do? I don't want to spend out on a new DPF only to find its no better.

Others have mentioned going into limp-mode if the EML comes on, but mine doesn't. It runs exactly the same except it has two lights on and the cruise control doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:27 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

****** DPF light came on yet again today! I managed to get on the motorway before the EML came on but it took a 25 mile run before I got the DPF light to go out. I have cut out as many short runs as possible, not that I do many anyway, and as advised by the garage that did the last forced-regen I took it for a 30 minute continuous run at 50 mph only the other day (before the light came on). This is starting to get really irritating now, so does anyone know if a new DPF is needed, will solve the problem, or are these cars really unsuitable to doing any journeys of less than 20 miles? It's a great car to drive, but I'm seriously starting to wonder whether to get rid of it and buy something older without a DPF!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
For me, I used to add a shot of Miller's Diesel Magic at every tankful of fuel and that helped limit my DPF regenerations to about every 6 months. Without it, I would have a regeneration light every month or so.

Others may argue and refer to it as 'snake oil' but all I can say is that it worked for me! :starwars:

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:55 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

My last forced-regen was on 10th February and I have done about 500 miles since. The drive this morning took about 25 quite unnecessary miles to put the light out, but at least it worked. Then of course I had to drive back! It seems that doing unnecessary mileage is to some extent defeating the object of having a DPF, because I am burning more fuel than I actually need to. I am a pensioner with very limited means so I am reluctant to spend money I don't really have replacing the DPF if it won't cure the problem, so I am having to decide now whether to fork out and replace the DPF, or get rid of the car. I really don't want to get rid of it as apart from this problem it is perfect for what I need. However, a car that cannot ever be used for the occasional short journey is no use to me. A petrol version might rid me of the DPF problem, but then I would have the greatly increased fuel consumption.

What I really want to know is whether my car's behaviour is "normal", in which case I will have to get rid of it, or is there a fault that can be permanently cured? I am very reluctant to go down the additives route as there is no conclusive proof that they actually do anything. They are certainly not any kind of cure for a problem. My feelings are that if additives were necessary, the manufacturers of the cars would insist on their use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 am 
Off Roader

Busman if I was you I would experiment for a while keeping records of your mileage . For example every 3 journeys drive it like you're doing a regen ie lower gear to keep the revs at 2000 + . With your journeys of minimum 15 miles I wouldn't be expecting any warning lights to appear. It should be getting plenty hot enough . I would even consider driving like this this for a couple of weeks or more before trying the experiment. If after a while no lights appear then drop it back to every 4 journeys and so on.
Do you know anyone with a code reader which plugs into the car to show fault codes ? Or take it to a garage but they charge hefty fees just to plug it in.
Unfortunately it sounds like it may cost a few £ to get it right but it will save you £ in the long term.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
You need to establish why your dpf is blocking. It is blocking with Carbon, in the form of soot. This is an undesirable product of combustion. Excessive quantities will block dpf prematurely, and may indicate problems elsewhere.

Fuel additives have been proven to provide lubricity and detergent cleaning of sticky residue.

These engines were never intended to run on low Sulphur fuels (reduced lubricity), and these have been proven to cause premature wear and failure of critical fuel system components. They definitely were not intended to run on added bio fuels!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:25 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Thanks guys. I will try what you suggest. I do occasionally do shorter journeys as I'm sure we all do. There's a once a month trip to stock up at a supermarket about 3 miles away, and occasional visits to my son and daughter who also live about 3 miles away but in different directions. Most of my other journeys are longer. I have never been someone who uses the car to go half a mile up the road though like some do. As I can travel free on both buses and trains I sometimes use them too.

I must admit I am somewhat surprised that I keep getting that DPF light coming on, as I wouldn't have thought that my usual driving pattern should cause this unless there is another fault somewhere. If the problem is soot, which it appears to be, could it be that the air filter needs changing? I'm not sure how easy that is, I'll have to take a look. According to the book the car was serviced last July, soon before I bought it in August, and I don't do all that high a mileage. About 9,000 miles a year. However, as it wasn't me who had the car serviced last I don't know how thorough the garage was.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
It could well be the air filter, and in fact probably the easiest and cheapest thing to check.

Did you ever seek advice from Terraclean?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:11 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I'll make checking the air filter my first job then.

Just checked out Terraclean as they are new to me. On their website they show DPF cleaning from £250 - £500, and new DPFs from £1,000 to £4,000. Prices seem a bit on the high side to me, as there is a new DPF to fit my car listed on Ebay for £282 with a 5 year warranty. Not sure how good they are though. Still, it does give me another option, thanks.

I'd like to keep this car for as long as I can if possible, but I can't stomach having two or three forced-regens a year along with lots of unnecessary journeys. I had my W reg (2000) Volvo V70 for nine years, but that didn't have a DPF. Very reliable car, but quite low, and as I have a bit of a dodgy hip and back I was starting to struggle getting out after a long drive. The X Trail is much better in that respect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next