Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

T31 battery replacement

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Norfolk Jim 
#1 ·
My battery is on the way out, second on the vehicle, the original lasted 5 years and this one is coming up 4 years.

I can get a battery home delivered from Halfords for just £80, but I'm unsure how much dismantling is required to remove the old one. There doesn't appear to be enough space without removing the extension arms on both terminals. The last battery was replaced for me at a garage and I don't remember the details. I'm in the over 70s vulnerable category so I'm very reluctant to go to Kwikfit.

Can someone give me a guide as to how best to do this simple job without over-elaborating the task or getting in a mess?

#3 ·
malgpz900 said:
MalH47 said:
My battery is on the way out, second on the vehicle, the original lasted 5 years and this one is coming up 4 years.

I can get a battery home delivered from Halfords for just £80, but I'm unsure how much dismantling is required to remove the old one. There doesn't appear to be enough space without removing the extension arms on both terminals. The last battery was replaced for me at a garage and I don't remember the details. I'm in the over 70s vulnerable category so I'm very reluctant to go to Kwikfit.

Can someone give me a guide as to how best to do this simple job without over-elaborating the task or getting in a mess?
Remove negative lead, remove the bracket holding the battery in place. Remove positive lead Installation reverse.
Malcolm.
Thanks. It looks like the elaborate cabling to the + terminal is all flexible and can be moved out of the way. Is that right?

#4 ·
MalH47 said:
malgpz900 said:
MalH47 said:

Remove negative lead, remove the bracket holding the battery in place. Remove positive lead Installation reverse.
Malcolm.
Thanks. It looks like the elaborate cabling to the + terminal is all flexible and can be moved out of the way. Is that right?
Replaced mine last year. I cannot remember having to do anything different to every other car battery I have replace/removed over the years.
Malcolm.

#6 ·
malgpz900 said:
MalH47 said:
Thanks Malcolm. Am I right in thinking that the radio does not lose its memory as a result of being powered down? I don't recall the fitter taking any precautions last time.
Mine lost it's memory and had to put the security code in. 2013 model.
Malcolm.
Same here - except I'd had the satnav/stereo unit replaced under warranty and they hadn't given me the new code!
I called the main dealer who did the work - they talked me through getting the unit's serial number displayed from the prompt screen, and gave me the security code as soon as I'd read the last digit. My guess is that the code is a hash of the serial number and they have an app that calculates it.

Battery swap itself was a simple 2-3 minute job.

#8 ·
Colster said:
Use a memory saver to be sure. You could also leave car battery charger connected to terminals and switched on. Either way, make sure battery terminals don't touch each other or car body when disconnected from battery.
Will a smart charger still supply power to the car when the battery is disconnected?

#10 ·
Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm pleased to advise that I managed to obtain a suitable replacement battery (Varta) from Tayna in Abergele, excellent service at a decent price. I fitted it today using my cheap and cheerful battery charger to maintain power to the radio etc. Relieved when everything started up again OK! :lol: :biggrin: :cool:

I have ascertained that if you lose the radio you can obtain the code from Nissan provided that the model matches one of two photos that they will send you. They require you to send back a photo of the code showing on the screen along with proof of ownership and ID. If it doesn't match then you will need to contact a dealership.

#12 ·
I thought I needed a new battery last summer - I always drive with headlamps on irrespective of weather, just purely so people see a car with lights on expect it to be moving................When you stop car and turn of ignition the lights stay on until you open drivers door. For some reason at my son's allotment I'd left engine running and with door open then turned ignition off - came back to car after 2.5hrs and battery flat as pancake no interior light or anything would work. Thankfully son had set of heavy duty leads in his car and after a few minutes of charging it started. Mine is facelift 2011 Tekna with xenon light and Sat Nav and hard drive - no issues with radio apart from needing to set stations again. Moral of story make sure lights are off when leaving vehicle unless using follow me home lights at night!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.