Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

N/S Front Brake Caliper Replaced

10K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Umbongo 
#1 ·
Had to change the near side front brake caliper today as the old one had a seized piston, not bad though I've had ten years out of it. I've seen a few members on here having changed theirs three times and it always seems to be the N/S front that goes. I took quite a few photos so I may do a How to change it. :smile:

#2 ·
:thumbs: Nice one Umbongo, a "how to" would be excellent. I have recently been hearing a noise coming from the front brakes - like the discs are slightly warped as the noise isn't constant - under braking. I wonder if they are distorting/warping (the set I had changed last year were warped) because the pistons aren't working on both sides due to a faulty caliper? A how to would be good, seen some replacement (remanufactured) calipers on eBay for around £70 a side... is that reasonable, what's your thoughts on remanufactured/refurbished parts??

Shay

#3 ·
shaymeboy said:
:thumbs: Nice one Umbongo, a "how to" would be excellent. I have recently been hearing a noise coming from the front brakes - like the discs are slightly warped as the noise isn't constant - under braking. I wonder if they are distorting/warping (the set I had changed last year were warped) because the pistons aren't working on both sides due to a faulty caliper? A how to would be good, seen some replacement (remanufactured) calipers on eBay for around £70 a side... is that reasonable, what's your thoughts on remanufactured/refurbished parts??

Shay
Hi Shay, I can't see any problem fitting re-manufactured ones as they must carry some sort of guarantee on them.

#4 ·
Hi folks,

Surprised so many people are replacing them, and so often?

Mine went sticky (yep, NSF) after being off the road for so long during my trial-by-engine, however I stripped it, cleaned everything up, rebuilt it using the original seals (apart from one I ripped myself - borrowed another from the spares car), bled new fluid through and it's been perfect ever since.

Are we shelling out for replacements when all that really needed is a little elbow grease, a free afternoon and clean fluid?

#5 ·
creationracing said:
Hi folks,

Surprised so many people are replacing them, and so often?

Mine went sticky (yep, NSF) after being off the road for so long during my trial-by-engine, however I stripped it, cleaned everything up, rebuilt it using the original seals (apart from one I ripped myself - borrowed another from the spares car), bled new fluid through and it's been perfect ever since.

Are we shelling out for replacements when all that really needed is a little elbow grease, a free afternoon and clean fluid?
Hi Roy, I've had the new calliper for a few years now in the garage so I was lucky it was the nsf one and it saved me a little time stripping the old one down and fitting new pistons that cost about £25 each and then a new seal kit maybe about £40 or more. I bought the caliper on ebay about five years ago for £35 genuine one too :smile: I saw a set a while back they'd been refurbished and had a starting price of £60 and I was surprised no one bid on them. When I have a bit of time I'll strip the one I took off and rebuild it with new parts as the bushes for the sliding pins get worn over time and don't allow the caliper to operate properly.

#9 ·
shaymeboy said:

Shay
Hi Shay, why not buy a new one from these suppliers I've used them myself for brake service kits in the past as they're local to me so I can collect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRAI ... 35b62ce945

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRAI ... 35b648696e

#10 ·
johnrimm said:
Hello Umbongo,

That looks a tidy job, you'll be pleased it's sorted before winter starts. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John
Hi John, yes I'm glad I caught it in time before it damaged the rotor. I'll have to tackle the struts dust boots soon as they're all split, but it's not an M.O.T. fail thankfully and I'll have to get underneath in the spring and deal with the rust like your intending to do, I think KILVY has done his already.

#11 ·
Umbongo said:
johnrimm said:
Hello Umbongo,

That looks a tidy job, you'll be pleased it's sorted before winter starts. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John
Hi John, yes I'm glad I caught it in time before ir damaged the rotor. I'll have to tackle the struts dust boots soon as they're all split, but it's not an M.O.T. fail thankfully and I'll have to get underneath in the spring and deal with the rust like your intending to do, I think KILVY has done his already.
I think they are called 'bound bumpers ' , and good luck in getting them !
I think only from Nissan dealer.

#12 ·
WAK said:
Umbongo said:
johnrimm said:
Hello Umbongo,

Best wishes, John
Hi John, yes I'm glad I caught it in time before ir damaged the rotor. I'll have to tackle the struts dust boots soon as they're all split, but it's not an M.O.T. fail thankfully and I'll have to get underneath in the spring and deal with the rust like your intending to do, I think KILVY has done his already.
I think they are called 'bound bumpers ' , and good luck in getting them !
I think only from Nissan dealer.
Hi WAK, That's just Nissan's fancy name for them and that's why they charge so much for them, I won't pay stupid prices for Dust bump stops from Nissan I've already found a good replacement from the link below and better quality too.
Nissan's price for (Bound bumpers) each.
Front Part No:54040-4U000 £44.65 + VAT two per vehicle
Back Part No:55240-8H500 £46.55 + VAT two per vehicle
made in China for £5
:x

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1898

#13 ·
Umbongo said:
shaymeboy said:

Shay
Hi Shay, why not buy a new one from these suppliers I've used them myself for brake service kits in the past as they're local to me so I can collect.

Nice one Umbongo, have bought replacements for both sides, thanks very much :bow:

Get that "how to" posted up ASAP mate :biggrin:

#14 ·
shaymeboy said:
Umbongo said:
shaymeboy said:

Shay

Nice one Umbongo, have bought replacements for both sides, thanks very much

Get that "how to" posted up ASAP mate
Hi Shay, I didn't think that you was that desperate for them are your rotors OK or will you have to replace then too. International brake parts have their own web site you know and if you read the thread below you'll see my post on getting to the XT parts. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3585

#15 ·
Umbongo said:
shaymeboy said:
Umbongo said:
shaymeboy said:

Shay

Nice one Umbongo, have bought replacements for both sides, thanks very much

Get that "how to" posted up ASAP mate
Hi Shay, I didn't think that you was that desperate for them are your rotors OK or will you have to replace then too. International brake parts have their own web site you know and if you read the thread below you'll see my post on getting to the XT parts. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3585
I will get the discs replaced for free after fitting the new calipers :thumbs: at kwik fit... lifetime warranty on the discs and pads all round ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.