Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Keyless Ignition

30K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Bus-man 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the part number of the cover that goes over the key slot on the ignition switch? Mine got lost whilst in the body shop.

Thanks

#8 ·
blodnik said:
Umbongo said:
blodnik said:
Does anyone know the part number of the cover that goes over the key slot on the ignition switch? Mine got lost whilst in the body shop.

Thanks
Can you upload a photo
thanks, hope this works
This is like mine, I've never had a cover!

#10 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I only bought my X Trail on Monday. When I took the car for a test drive I was able to start it without a key, but since I got it home I can't for some reason. What am I doing wrong? I don't have a handbook yet so I can't look it up, and I can't seem to find a handbook online.

Also, I was given two keys (fobs) with the car. One key seems to start the car fine, but the other one won't turn in the ignition. Is there a reason for this? I obviously have a lot to learn about this car, but so far I love it! :smile:

#12 ·
Ahto42 said:
Is the key recodnized by the car?
I'm not really sure to be honest. Both fobs will lock and unlock the doors, and both keys fit into the ignition, but only one turns.

What I am most curious about though is why I could turn the ignition switch without a key at the dealer's, but after I got home I couldn't. I went to go out Monday evening, tried to start the car without the key in the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. I then tried that key and it still wouldn't turn, so I went back inside the house and got the other fob. That key worked.

#14 ·
Bus-man said:
Ahto42 said:
Is the key recodnized by the car?
I'm not really sure to be honest. Both fobs will lock and unlock the doors, and both keys fit into the ignition, but only one turns.

What I am most curious about though is why I could turn the ignition switch without a key at the dealer's, but after I got home I couldn't. I went to go out Monday evening, tried to start the car without the key in the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. I then tried that key and it still wouldn't turn, so I went back inside the house and got the other fob. That key worked.
Do you have your foot on the brake pedal?

#15 ·
And finger on the button next to ignition?

If ignition is turned back to lock position you need foot on brake pedal and press in the button while turning the switch. If not in full lock then you only have to turn the ignition switch.

Is there a red key symbol flashing on dashboard? If there is the car is recognising there is a key present and allow it to start - I've never tried starting mine with the key but it won't start if key is not present and it will tell you Key Not Detected on dash.

If you are able to lock and unlock with key fob then the car know key is present. If ignition switch is in lock position i.e. all the way back anticlockwise with button pressed in try shutting door and with key in hand or pocket see if it locks by pressing the black button on the door handle.

#16 ·
Thanks for that explanation, I hadn't noticed the button. I'll have to check that out when I go out tomorrow morning. When I started the car at the dealers the ignition switch couldn't have been in lock, but when I stopped it on arriving home I turned it right the way round into lock. I have had automatic cars for years so I always put my foot on the brake when starting the engine, it just comes naturally.

#17 ·
Well I did go out in the car today, and the reason I hadn't noticed the button is because there isn't one. No problem starting the car using the key though, but only one of my keys seems to turn the ignition switch. How did I manage to start the car without using a key at the place where I bought it? The salesman told me "the car has keyless start, just turn the switch". I did, and it started. Now it will only start using a key, so I must be doing something wrong. Foot on brake, gear selector in park, insert key, turn key and it starts. Without the key the switch will not turn.

#18 ·
Same key onlocks the car?
I would go to the nissan service and let them reprogramm the keys. If possible, on sellers cost.
I have the i-key and it works fine. Button on the door handle to unlock, foot on the brake and turn the knob where the key should go in.

#19 ·
The problem was that the place where I bought the car was just a small independent car dealer who sold a variety of different cars. His knowledge of the X Trail was very limited, so he couldn't answer many of my specific questions. He told me that the car had "keyless start" and to just turn the switch, which I did and it started. When I tried the same thing at home the switch wouldn't turn, so I tried putting the key in but it still wouldn't turn. Running out of options I went back in the house and got the other key. Now I had both keys inside the car but still the switch wouldn't turn, so I tried putting the other key (the one from the house) into the switch and it turned and the car started ok. I have since been using the key that works in the ignition switch to drive the car, but I want to get the keyless function working.
Summing up;
Either key-fob will let me into the car.
One key (removed from the fob) will start the car when inserted into the switch. The other one won't.
Neither fob will let me start the car without inserting a key.

Why did the car start at the dealer's without inserting a key, but now it won't? Seems I have much to learn, even though I have been driving for over 50 years!

#20 ·
Bus-man said:
The problem was that the place where I bought the car was just a small independent car dealer who sold a variety of different cars. His knowledge of the X Trail was very limited, so he couldn't answer many of my specific questions. He told me that the car had "keyless start" and to just turn the switch, which I did and it started. When I tried the same thing at home the switch wouldn't turn, so I tried putting the key in but it still wouldn't turn. Running out of options I went back in the house and got the other key. Now I had both keys inside the car but still the switch wouldn't turn, so I tried putting the other key (the one from the house) into the switch and it turned and the car started ok. I have since been using the key that works in the ignition switch to drive the car, but I want to get the keyless function working.
Summing up;
Either key-fob will let me into the car.
One key (removed from the fob) will start the car when inserted into the switch. The other one won't.
Neither fob will let me start the car without inserting a key.

Why did the car start at the dealer's without inserting a key, but now it won't? Seems I have much to learn, even though I have been driving for over 50 years!
Silly question, please forgive me for asking, but have you been holding the brake pedal down when trying to turn the switch? Unless you do the switch will not turn. Suspect that, when you drove off at the dealers, the dealer may not have used the Lock button. If still in trouble, I'll see if I can copy the relevant pages from my manual.

When you say that one key works in the ignition and the other doesn't, does the non-working key still fit in the lock? Could be just that the key needs re-programming.

#21 ·
Not a silly question at all AMB. Some people may not realise that you have to do this, but having driven automatics for more years than I care to remember I always put my foot on the brake when starting up. Its a habit.

I think you may well be right about the dealer not turning the switch back to lock, which I naturally did when getting home as I was not familiar with this system. It would certainly explain why I could start it without the key then but not now. You are probably also right about the key that doesn't work needing to be re-programmed. They both look identical, and they both fit in the lock, but one turns and the other one doesn't.

I have now ordered a manual from ebay, so when that comes I may find out more. Its quite a learning-curve after my last car, which was a very basic model of a different make. So many gadgets to find out about and learn how to use. Great car to drive!

Does anyone know the likely cost of having a key re-programmed? Can it only be done by a Nissan dealer? I would like both keys to work.

#22 ·
Before reprogramming try a new CR2032 battery in the suspect fob. I've found that although a worn battery still works fine for door lock/unlock it doesn't always operate the ignition immobiliser reliably.

As for pressing the brake pedal to turn the ignition switch from locked - it should display that on the dash screen.

Attachments

#23 ·
Hi Nimby, mine doesn't have that display, it has a round one between the two main dials. However, just been out in the car and would you believe it the key-less function worked perfectly! Don't know what was wrong before. I did everything exactly the same this time.

I will take your tip about trying a new battery though.

Thanks all for your help. :thumbs:

#24 ·
Bus-man said:
Hi Nimby, mine doesn't have that display, it has a round one between the two main dials. However, just been out in the car and would you believe it the key-less function worked perfectly! Don't know what was wrong before. I did everything exactly the same this time.

I will take your tip about trying a new battery though.

Thanks all for your help. :thumbs:
I had an intermittent problem some time ago. Wasn't using the car much. Half convinced myself that it was to do with the brakes. The system needs to sense that the brake pedal is pressed in order to start. Don't know whether the X-Trail uses brake line pressure or mechanical sense but, if the car has been left, the brake assist servo will often have discharged - requiring a lot more foot pressure to trigger the sensor. Problem went away when used more frequently, so I didn't investigate further.

Nimby's tip on replacing the battery is also valid. When my battery needed replacing, it would still allow the doors to be opened (keyless and remote), but I had to hold the fob near the ignition to be able to turn the key. OK after that.

#25 ·
Nothing worse than intermittent problems, as soon as you get time to try and find them, they disappear!

I think you may have a point AMB. I don't know how long the dealer had the car before I bought it so it could have been unused for a while. Don't think it could have been all that long though as I had been searching for one for a long while and this was the first one I had found reasonably close to home that suited what I was looking for. Its my only car so it will get used most days now. Looking forward to finding out what its like towing my caravan at the end of the month. The caravan's only fairly small and light so it should be a breeze.

#26 ·
Have you got the small black buttons on the drivers door handle, passenger door handle and tailgate???

What does the slot look like where you'd put the key in? Does it look like a normal ignition or does it have a plastic slot where a key could go but also a small black button? Should be either one of these - I don't think looking at my manual there is any other form. If the former you don't have intelligent key system if you have a plastic slot with also a button then you have intelligent key and will also have black buttons on door handle outside.

If you have the latter you must ensure the key is on you and being read by the car, you have your foot on brake pedal and have the button pressed in before you try to turn the key/switch. If you don't have foot on pedal then the dash board will tell you so (well mine does on 2011 car). It might be the batteries in key fobs are running low and car can't see the keys if you've the intelligent system.

Could be you have intelligent key system and the garage simply didn't turn the key switch completely off into the lock position (you have to press the black button to do this); as said could also be batteries................... post a picture of your ignition switch so we can see what you've got.

Oops - note to self - read last page first so this is a repeat lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.