Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

How Can I run An iPod Off The Factory Fitted Head Unit

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  AleXtrail 
#1 ·
On previous cars owned have had an Aux or USB.
Is an FM Transmitter really the only way.
I don't want to replace the factory head unit out of choice with a new system as I happen to quite like it, I know I am odd.
Have the 2007/2008 Bluetooth, Sat Nav & Reversing Camera Head Unit.
Everything all works good except for would like to plug an old iPod into the system and leave it to run all the time like on previous cars.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated, what has been tried and tested etc.
If I possibly have to buy a separate car charger for it then that is no prob, but would be nice if you could play and charge through the head unit.
Anyone have any solutions?
Cheers.

#3 ·
Hi,

If it has a CD changer, then the headunit has to have an AUX input for this. You would need to remove the headunit and check, but you should be able to wire a suitable cable into this with a 3.5mm connection that you can connect your iPod to.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Would need to get someone to look into that for me, audio fitters etc.
Did Google the system and this appears to be the exact same one taken out of a 2009 car.
Without physically taking it out can only assume this is the model.
Here's a photo showing the front and back, few connectors holes but haven't got a clue what is what, that would be for the audio team, but worth posting.
Whether an aux will hook up to this.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah they pretty much are but it's a quick and cheap fix, as the music on the radio can be pretty rubbish and you have to put up with a lot of talking and not a lot of music.
Will look into finding a solution as soon as poss, find an audio shop that can look into it for me and see if they can add something, as I don't want to mess it up or affect the camera or anything, personally wouldn't have a clue what connector does what on the back of that system.
Budget at the moment though is giving the alloy wheels a bit of spruce up, as they are in definite need of it, once that is sorted than that is the next job for the next lot of funds.
So cheap and quick fix will do for the moment, but they are naff agreed.

#9 ·
Finally got round to asking advice about my system.
Nissan can't help other than replace the whole system for the Nissan Connect for enormous money.
The system is the most awkward one around, have asked 3 independents for advice & they say the only real option is an hardwired fm transmitter, that will cut the aerial in and out with a flick of the switch, so went get the fade in and out.
Other than it seems the only other option is a replacement of all the whole system, which is a shame.
Don't get why when the Bluetooth of the system works for phone, why it can't pick up music and play that through the system, or is there something in particular you can set up to make this work.

#10 ·
Hi, newbie just been reading your thread as I'm buying a t31 and it looks like I'm in the same boat. Music audio over Bluetooth uses a different protocol which it looks like the unit in yours (and mine) don't support. Without a USB or aux the only other option would be to burn mp3's onto a disk which apparently it will read. Very old school, I remember doing that twenty years ago, don't think I even own a CD burner now!
It's been a while since your last reply, did you come to any conclusion?

#11 ·
Marcos999 said:
Hi, newbie just been reading your thread as I'm buying a t31 and it looks like I'm in the same boat. Music audio over Bluetooth uses a different protocol which it looks like the unit in yours (and mine) don't support. Without a USB or aux the only other option would be to burn mp3's onto a disk which apparently it will read. Very old school, I remember doing that twenty years ago, don't think I even own a CD burner now!
It's been a while since your last reply, did you come to any conclusion?
Hi,

As covered in another thread, if you really want to keep the headunit, you have the option of getting an adapter like Yatour which plugs into the back of the headunit and gives you a number of different connectivity options. Since double DIN headunits are relatively affordable, with all kinds of functionality, including internet, GPS and the ability to connect a reversing camera, that's another option to consider.

The Yatour costs about £45-50.

http://www.ycarlink.com/pd_10528_Yatour ... player.htm

Kind Regards,

Eoin

#12 ·
Hey Newbie,
I went old skool in the end, a pack of £7.99 cd-r's, burner on my computer and away I went, each cd-r holds approx. 100 to 110 songs converted to mp3 depending on size.
Works a treat as the disc changer holds six cd's at a time and always easy to have a chop and change about.
It took a little bit of time, but music is just as good and works fine for me.
Look forward to building up enough songs each time to burn another cd-r.
I like my sound system and the navigation so till anything changes sticking with the factory fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.