Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Second times a charm

13K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Trial_S15 
#1 ·
Well the first one didn't quite work out;

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2757

But thats not put us off so we're back with another one :thumbs: This one is a 2003 "Sport" diesel :cool: It's a completely different jeep to drive - much more responsive than the old one & with all the extra torque & a 6th gear it is so much more forgiving on the motorway (as I've been driving it to and from work for the past week) but I'll put that down to the old one being a lemon....

Like the last one it has the panoramic sunroof and 6 cd changer but unlike the last one it has a full compliment of tools & jack in the boot along with an owners manual :biggrin: It also has an aftermarket stereo with incorporated bluetooth so Sheena can talk away to her hearts content without the worry of penalty points :roll:

I've salvaged all the the new bits I got for the old one so the new one now has the following;

Fortunately I hadn't fitted the bumper guard to the old one so I'll fit it to the new one next week.... I may also have sourced some Audiobahn speakers and an amp for it to complete the Audio install :grin: but they'll all be hidden behind the existing speaker covers or seat (amp) so it won't look ridiculous....

Anyway, pics :smile:

I think the rear lights have been partially tinted??? They're definately darker than the ones on our last one but I actually think it suits the black....

The interior was filthy so got it professionally valeted :bow:

And finally the lights - significant improvement at night over the old ones...

The fan settings on the Climate control all work, but 2 of the three knobs are broken and none of the back-lights are working in the unit :roll: Is it easier to just find a replacement unit than to take the existing one apart, replace all of the bulbs and somehow fix the knobs????

See less See more
#2 ·
Well we've had the dogs out in it a few times and the boot liner, bumper guard and dog guard are all well worth it :thumbs: One of the two dogs gets travel sick and the boot liner has dealt with everything and was very simple to clean afterwards :biggrin: The liner has even stopped sand from getting everywhere, we brought them to the beach last week and they both love the sea so I was dreading letting them back in the car wet & sandy but the liner caught everything :bow: Plus a big thanks to Nissan for having tough hardy plastic everywhere in the boot, ten minutes with a wet cloth and the whole lot is as new :cool:

The one thing I would say is that the Saunders dog guard falls down unless the rear seats are tilted back to their rearmost setting, which takes a couple of inches of space away from the dogs :sad: One of the two dogs always has to see where we're going so she moves around a bit as you brake / turn / accelerate which makes the mat move a bit. The guard is fixed between the floor and roof so when the mat moves the mounts on the floor move with it and it falls down, but tilting the rear seats back has solved the problem as the mat can no longer move :thumbs:

The bumper guard has also been a worthwhile investment, the dogs jump in and out as soon as the rear door is opened and they would have already made a right mess of the paintwork if it wasn't for the guard :cool:

All in all a very worthwhile investment for any X-T owner that happens to have dogs :smile:

#3 ·
Well I had the pleasure of having the X-T for the entire weekend and what a car! It truly is a one stop shop for all your motoring needs!

I needed to collect feed for Sheena on Friday, well for the yard! There was over 450kg's of feed and it was a bit of a stretch but no trouble to the exy :bow: She went up and down steep enough hills, stopped when I needed it to (poxy tractors tearing around corners in the middle of the road :headbang: ) and despite the huge suspension travel there was no knocking or rubbing :thumbs:

Empty feed house - full again :cool:

So finished that on Friday evening, brought it home, hoovered it out and gave it a bit of a clean to get ready for the weekend away. I was bringing 3 mates to the other side of the county for some karting, CBQ'n and drinking. 4 big enough blokes with 4 helmets, 4 lots of clothes, wet gear x 4, drink for 4 and 4 sleeping bags & all 4 of us still had acres of space! Very comfortable drive for all of us and reasonably good MPG too (33-35mpg) :biggrin:

Left first thing Saturday morning and dropped it back last thing Saturday night, after a quick pit stop before dropping it back to Sheena

P.S. I left a 5 door Mark V Golf (diesel) at home to bring the X-T, to say me and all my passengers are glad I did is an understatement!

#6 ·
lol Wimbo, definately not because those seats are a right pain to clean (so much so that I can't get any valet place to take it :headbang: the place that did it in March will no longer accept X-Trails!)

Umbongo, thanks for the tip :bow: My weekend away was with the SXOC though so I've plenty of experience with Turbo'd nissans :thumbs:

#7 ·
Wimbo should not be Wimbo, if he did not ave a solution for that. Cleaning an upholstery from dog/cat hair: use a rotating brush on your vacume cleaner. We do this for years (We seem like a bunch of house wifes now... ☺☺☺) but it works! You can buy spare parts at Handyman (as well in England I presume) Cost you 20 at the most. Buy the smallest you can. Good luck.

#9 ·
Trial_S15 said:
lol Wimbo, definately not because those seats are a right pain to clean (so much so that I can't get any valet place to take it :headbang: the place that did it in March will no longer accept X-Trails!)

Umbongo, thanks for the tip :bow: My weekend away was with the SXOC though so I've plenty of experience with Turbo'd nissans :thumbs:
I wasn't sure that you knew about the spooling down as many don't and end up having to replace it. Was your two front wheels off the road with all that horse feed. :lol:

#11 ·
Bit of an update, Sheena had an argument with an embankment and has damaged the bumper and indicator (very lucky not to do any more TBH :shock: ), will phase 2 T30 bumpers fit the phase 1 T30? I'm keeping an eye out for a black bumper to reduce repair costs and was wondering if I'll have any trouble fitting a phase 2 front bumper if I come across one first?

Also, I had my first off road experience in the X-T on Tuesday and loved it :thumbs: We'd to cross a couple of fields as some horses had broken out through a makeshift gate and we'd to try & fix it before the really bad weather came in. It was about a half mile from the yard through some fairly level fields but there's a bog on one side of our route & a lake on the other so the ground was pretty soft and wet and the three gates we'd to go through all had water / muck which was tough to walk through but "Bridie" had no trouble :cool:

Back in one piece :biggrin:

Definitely doing that again, might see if there's any off road courses local!

Edit;
Just seen this, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4218 smaller fogs :( Phase 1 bumper it is....

#12 ·
No real update other than I got a new power washer, snow foam lance & shampoo which has made it so much easier to clean!

Before:

Snow!!

After:

Leave the foam to work it's magic for a few minutes, quick pass with a wash mitt (rinsing it regularly) and rinse - job done :bow:

It was so quick I even got to do the Golf :cool:
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/Trial_S15/New Momo/7_zpsa58ea302.jpg
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/Trial_S15/New Momo/8_zps10464fdb.jpg
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/Trial_S15/New Momo/9_zps6cff0f49.jpg

#14 ·
Thanks Daz :thumbs:

I forgot to mention that I removed the aftermarket stereo a short while after we got the jeep as the previous owners had just plugged out the CD player to fit the new stereo (even though they told us it still worked. I sold the aftermarket unit off a few months later as all was well and now the Changer is skipping and marking the CD's :headbang: Plus now that I've read about it on here I see that it is a well known problem and that the most effective solution is replacement with a completely different unit so I'm on the hunt for a relatively cost effective solution at the minute (as we're planning a wedding and don't really have spare cash for Audio installs :frown: )

#15 ·
I got a very nice Sony xplod unit from 3bay for 30 quid! It's "banging" as the young people say! . :)
Very easy install (harness adapter was 3 pounds) and coupled with my 2ndhand subwoofer, also 3bay and 20 quid with wiring included, my X'y is rocking!
Bargain audio is possible! :thumbs:

#19 ·
No real update but still loving the X-T!!!

Drove down to Killarney for the long weekend a few weeks back and it was a pleasure the whole way down and back. Plus it was perfect for the trek up the gap of dunloe (https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=gap+of+du ... CCoQ8gEwAA) one of the days, bit overcast and was raining but still great :biggrin:

It's the business!! We parked up and went for a bit of a wander a couple of times and took plenty of pictures but only had my phone, bit of a taster:

#24 ·
Thanks all :biggrin: it was stunning but definitely weather and terrain that was better suited to an X-Trail than my VW. The road quality was very poor and I kinda felt bad for a couple we came across driving a Z4!!

eoinsully said:
Nice pics :thumbs: - I've been there many a time in Killarney.

Kind Regards,

Eoin
We have been going down to Cork or Kerry (mainly Cork) 2 or 3 times a year for the last 6/7 years and actually stayed on the Ring of Kerry years ago and never went for a wander up there until now :oops: Sure I've only been up in the Wicklow mountains once in the last decade even though its only just up the road...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.