Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

tyre pressure

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  outland 
#1 ·
Îs everyone happy with yours pressure ? no suspicious of why rear tyre not having any other grade in terms of weight /pressure ?
i got 225/55R19 , and i not sure if 2.3F and 2.1R are the best deal all the way.. but i can´t find any comments on this.

#2 ·
Hi, we've had some threads on this but they're not always easy to find as the word is too common.
Anyway, quite a few of us have asked at dealers or Customer 'Services' about the lack of info regarding full load pressure at the rear, with almost universal failure to get anything sensible out of them.

I find the pressures (same size as you) rise considerably from the cold setting when running hot and also vary a lot from hot to cold weather, but I set mine with a decent gauge at cold of 33/30psi as per the book (2.1, 2.1 as you say), knowing that on the motorway they'll rise about 2-3 psi (indicated).
When towing our small camper I increased the rears to 38 (2.6), based on gut feel and previous car settings.

These pressures seem to work fine for me, I'm still amazed that I'm only about 60% worn on the original tyres after 43k miles.
Wearing nice and even, just swapped them front to rear as the best pair are at about 4mm, worst about 3mm, reckon they're good for another 20k miles at this rate, which is awesome on an SUV of this size. Hate the noise the Goodyears make and I suppose slightly lower pressures might help with that, but a) it seems they're actually the lowest rated for noise and b) I think it's got more to do with the complete lack of soundproofing in the T32.

#3 ·
Here is what is recommended
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/x-trail/2016/

With the 19" size Nissan recommends lower pressure in the rear 2.1 vs 2.3 in front. I would think that the manual would include recommendations for towing or carrying an extra heavy load. In any case it is ok to experiment a bit with tire pressure to find the level you like for your driving style.

Also tire pressures are for a cold tire. Its expected that pressure increases as the tires warm up. That is why you are never supposed to go beyond the max cold pressure rating of the tire.

#4 ·
Quadraria said:
Here is what is recommended
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/x-trail/2016/

With the 19" size Nissan recommends lower pressure in the rear 2.1 vs 2.3 in front. I would think that the manual would include recommendations for towing or carrying an extra heavy load. In any case it is ok to experiment a bit with tire pressure to find the level you like for your driving style.

Also tire pressures are for a cold tire. Its expected that pressure increases as the tires warm up. That is why you are never supposed to go beyond the max cold pressure rating of the tire.
Yep, I run 33.5/30.5psi Front/rear. The issue is the lack of information on fully laden pressure. I tow a caravan and inflate the rears to 36psi.

Rik.

#7 ·
No, it definitely does not, and all I got from customer services was that it would be on the door plate (which it isn't). Then they said ask a dealer (who couldn't advise), totally pathetic in my opinion.
If it's to be kept the same at full load (which is a possible conclusion), then it should explicitly say so, but it makes no mention.

#8 ·
AndrewS said:
No, it definitely does not, and all I got from customer services was that it would be on the door plate (which it isn't). Then they said ask a dealer (who couldn't advise), totally pathetic in my opinion.
If it's to be kept the same at full load (which is a possible conclusion), then it should explicitly say so, but it makes no mention.
Yep, been through this too Andrew - possibly my first post here actually. :)

After raising this with Customer Services, they told me that the rear tyre pressure is the same loaded/unloaded. Personally, I don't think they know.

Rik.

#9 ·
I had the same issues as I tow a caravan and wanted to know the fully laden values. As with everyone else got told that it's the same pressures whether laden or unladen.
After towing with 2.1bar rear it was alwful experience so soon inflated to 2.5bar rear and it felt a lot more stable. Now i keep rear to 2.3 unladen as it feels more stable all round. Also seem to get a but more mpg as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.