Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Latest issue M9R engine

83K views 104 replies 39 participants last post by  Truck Driver 
#1 ·
Noticed the following on the You+ Nissan App:

"Nissan has identified the following potential issue(s) that may affect your T31

- 2.0L Diesel Engine Bearings (P3230)

Please get in touch with your nearest dealer immediatly so any necessary repairs can be conducted by our professional technicians, free of charge."

This sounds bad, is it?

Graham

#5 ·
Firstly this not a safety recall and is a voluntary service campaign, what it will involve is your local Nissan dealership reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM). The approximate time to complete this is within 20 minutes.

Our ongoing quality monitoring has identified a potential concern related premature engine bearing wear for the 2.0 litre diesel engine used on
Qashqai / Qashqai+2 (J10) and X-Trail (T31). I am writing to let you know that your vehicle falls within the range of potentially affected vehicles.
Nissan has identified that in a small number of cases when operating under a high load, high engine speed and severe driving conditions, the engine bearings may wear.
In the unlikely event this issue occurs you can identify an abnormal engine noise or lack of engine power. If this engine noise or lack of power is ignored and you continue to operate the vehicle, then in extreme cases the engine may stall due to seizure of the main or connecting rod bearings.

What corrective action will Nissan take?

Nissan will reprogram the Engine Control Module to reduce the maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute. As a result, the engine
will no longer operate in a high load and high engine speed condition that may cause premature bearing wear.
The reduction in maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute will not affect the maximum speed of the vehicle.

#7 ·
That can only mean one of two things:

1. The ECU program was incorrect and allows the engine in it's current state, to exceed it's original design limits. In this case, applying the correct ECU flash would be logical.

2. Under the current engine loads, revs etc, the bearing has a critical design issue - the quick fix is to flash the ECU and keep labour and parts cost down . . . the original issue still remains.

Eoin

#8 ·
Just received the following from my Dealer:

"Having spoken to my service advisors they have assured me this is not a major issue and please do no worry too much about it!

The chances of any fault in the car are minimal and they have not had instructions from Nissan to recall the X'trail for inspection.

It is a customer led procedure were a noise would be heard and lead the customer to contact us.

You look after your car and the workshop will pick up any problems when you are in for normal servicing etc.
as usual if you are concerned that the vehicle is in any way underperforming etc let them Know."

Don't know whether to be more worried or reassured!

The dealer is Western in Edinburgh.

Graham.

#10 ·
Prior to engine management systems engines had governor weights built into the distributor or injection pump these prevented the engine over revving & possibly failing due to the engine going faster than the internal components could keep up, i.e.: The cam opening the valve before the spring was able to return the valve to the closed position from the previous cycle.

So I am assuming the ECU was set with a governor setting higher than the designed RPM.

#11 ·
@Nissan: Quote: Nissan will reprogram the Engine Control Module to reduce the maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute. As a result, the engine
will no longer operate in a high load and high engine speed condition that may cause premature bearing wear.
The reduction in maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute will not affect the maximum speed of the vehicle.

This is all you can offer? We have problems with the wheels, so we remove em??
By far the most annoying solution I've ever heard.... (Would say stupid but I did not :whistle: )

In The Netherlands we have a expression and it goes like this: Mopping the water with the tap still open...

P.S. It's a Renault engine isn't it....?

#15 ·
"It is a customer led procedure were a noise would be heard and lead the customer to contact us."

I would have thought by then the damage has been done! I tow a caravan so will be contacting my dealer to seek advice, saying that it was in for service the other week and they never mentioned this!

#16 ·
anyone had this software update done. if so is there any difference in performance

or is it just a rev limiter, goes in Tuesday for this and the green 4wd and " 2 skidding cars " lights on,
tried the battery disconnect for 2 hours and all 6 brake fuses check OK

this is the 4th time for faults on a new xtrail in 2 years, wife is not a happy bunny. :bigcry:

was between this and a Vauxhall Antara, now regretting this choice,

#17 ·
Hmmmmmmmm.... thing every brand has it's makkes (problems) Be glad it's no Fiat or Lancia....
Nissan is one of the most reliable brands in the world. In the top 100, they always are in the top 10. So, I think that everybody can have bad luck once in a while. On the other side: what is 1 to 100? (in case of bad luck) the other 99 are functioning normal...

#18 ·
Deezel said:
Bad news that :headbang: so they are more or less saying the big end shells or mains are not up to the job when under high load /speed, probably to do with DPF faults when regenerating and putting excess diesel into the sump

Never liked Renault rubbish
My thoughts too. I noticed recently my oil level is slightly up probably due to DPF regen. Oils done 9k miles so will be getting it changed early. Me thinks 12.5k is too long with DPF regen oil dilution.

#19 ·
just had the software update, engine smoother, pulls in higher gear, quieter, no diesel knock,
sounds more like a car than a truck, ( will have to change my name here )
hill that struggled in 3rd now pulls up smoother,

the 4wd and abs light was caused by a water leak into the main harness under the bonnet,
the harness was not made water tight on manufacture
unused abs plug taped into harness wet,
looks like it may be a recall,

#23 ·
Well well, read about it now received it in the post today. Recall to re-program ECM to prevent the engine bearings wearing and potentially seizing the engine (!) as follows :

"Nissan has identified that in a small number of cases when operating under a high load, high engine speed and severe driving conditions, the engine bearings may wear.If the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition,in extreme cases the engine may stalldue to seizure of the main or connecting rod bearings"

I dont know what to make of that and what circumstances that may have happened - off roading ?

hmmm. kind of dents my confidence a bit if u can seize your engine ?

Doe anyone think there would be a rev limiter already ? i.e. to prevent red lining the revs and if so then its possible to seize the engine before the revs red line.

N

#26 ·
No need to worry!

Engines are fitted with Governors to prevent over revving where components could catch themselves up & thus destroying the engine. ( i.e. Valve springs unable to fully close before being opened again)
In Pre engine management systems the injection pumps & distributors had balance weights in them to prevent this. (Working similar to the spherical weights you see above steam engines in the museums. The heavier the weight the slower the top RPM speed)

With engine management systems max RPM is set electronically, someone got their calculations wrong & the max speed is set to high for certain conditions, you will notice no difference to your torque or speed once adjusted.

(Rather than wrong calculations I would think certain users are taking their engine beyond what it was intended for so Nissan are just adding a better safety margin)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.