Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Fitted an amplifier for my Garmin Sat Nav

26K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Vandy 
#1 ·
Mentioned this to Wimbo in a post and said I would post photos. Made a simple amplifier set up for my Garmin sat nav. Easy to make and improves the sound quality and makes it quicker and easier to adjust volume. I took a power feed from the socket in the dash storage box (meant removing the storage box but not difficult to do) and fitted a switch into one of the blanking plates by the mirror switches. Had to fit a ground loop islolator to the power supply as without it I was getting alternator whine. The power supply and amp sit under the drivers seat and I fitted the speaker to the side of the seat. Output from the headphone socket on the sat nav goes to the volume control which then goes to the amp. It's only a 3.5watt but that's plenty. Got the amp & speaker from Maplins.
If anyone needs any more info then let me know.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
About the growing-up part: my wife tells me all the time..... an I don't mind either!!1 (LOL)
But Vandy: Maybe I miss something here: you have a very nice nav. in your car, so; why bother with this (garmin) sav and do all the trouble? I'm curious.

#7 ·
Wimbo said:
About the growing-up part: my wife tells me all the time..... an I don't mind either!!1 (LOL)
But Vandy: Maybe I miss something here: you have a very nice nav. in your car, so; why bother with this (garmin) sav and do all the trouble? I'm curious.
Wimbo. I need the Garmin sat nav to search for postcodes (codes that are given to every address, also called Zip codes) and the Nissan sat van doesn't do this. Fitted the amp because the sound from the Garmin is not very loud.

And yes, I do like messing around with gadgets and things that are maybe not needed, but liked :lol:

#9 ·
Saw it too! Very nice. Changing the picture on My Tom-Tom is an easy thing to do. Put it on the computer with the USB cable, than search in the Tom-Tom Dir. for the right BMP's, change them in another picture (Beware: must be the same size) Put the original picytures in another Dir. Close the navigator, start her up again and look: There it is... Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.