It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: T31 owner...checking in at 47K
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 pm 

Hi everybody. I've not been back here since my T31 was on order back in March 2008, so I thought I'd stop by and let you know how the last 47000 miles have been. Mine is a 173bhp Sport, manual. On the whole I've been very pleased with it. It's been 100% reliable, and I have to tell you that with all the snow we have had recently , there has been nowhere that this vehicle has failed to go. It has been absolutely marvelous and I can't credit it enough. The Sport has the auto 'intelligent' 4WD. It has constantly returned 38mpg for me, on a mixture of motorway and A/B roads. I normally average about 100-150 miles per day on a working day.

On the downside, a few niggles are: windscreens...I am now on my third and that one needs replacing. Not necessarily a Nissan problem I guess, but the screen does seem very susceptible to damage from the slightest impact. The front headlight cluster I noticed recently, the reflective surface beneath has just fallen apart. No signs of impact to the lens but parts of the reflector are laying in the bottom. Front brake discs...I developed a bad wobble at about 8000 miles. Nissan tried to blame it on me for heavy braking. (I told them that I only ever brake heavily when absolutely necessary and after all, isn't this the purpose they are designed for ? ) They eventually agreed to skim them under warranty, but the wobble returned at about 30K. The discs were only about £50 each so I had them replaced along with the pads. The sunroof has recently started playing up. It won't automatically return to shut, or open full on one press of the button...need to get that one looked at. Some of the trim is a bit suspect. The silver coating on the gear knob completely disappeared by 10K, and is also disappearing on the radio volume knob. The dashboard storage lid has never sat flush as it should do and the hinge on the glove compartment has broken on one side. Legroom is a bit tight in the back. My kids are growing bigger now, and I am tall, so they do gripe a bit about that.

Towing wise the vehicle has been great. I play in a band and tow a reasonably sized trailer laden with pa speakers and amplifiers. It has never struggled and tows effortlessly. (I ought to check the weights really....anyone know what they are ?)

I will keep the Xtrail till March next year. I probably won't get another, not because I haven't been pleased with it, but I just get bored easily. I quite like the look of the Mazda CX7 now they have a diesel engine.

All the best
Kev

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: T31 owner...checking in at 47K
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:34 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Robin
Model: Reliant
Year/Plate: 1970
Colour: Yellow
Mods: window wipers
Thanks for the update.

Not sure about the Mazda the Kuga has caught my eye a few time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 am 

I too am on my third windscreen. First replacement fitted in December 2008, stone chip turned into 30cm crack within an hour. Just had second replacement last Friday, stone chip at base of windscreen again cracked. Two days later another stone chip in centre of windscreen :headbang: , fingers crossed it doesn't crack before I can get it repaired. Thought I might just be really unlucky but looks like it's not just me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: X-Trail Tekna
Year/Plate: 61
Colour: Silver
I have an 08 X-Trail, and have got too many little chips in my windscreen, and have also had the glovebox hinge break on the left hand side. Got a warantee replacement though! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 pm 

JonP wrote:
I have an 08 X-Trail, and have got too many little chips in my windscreen, and have also had the glovebox hinge break on the left hand side. Got a warantee replacement though! :thumbs:

Ha...never thought of that. Too late now.....71K on the clock now, just waiting for delivery of a new Touareg :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Sport Expedition Extreme - Diesel 173 - Manual
Year/Plate: 2009 / 59
Colour: Thundercloud
Mods: Nerside rearview mirror replaced for with one with blind-spot mirror (genuine Nissan part for an LHD X-Trail), DRLs (proper ones that dim at night), LED sidelights, Front+Rear DashCam
Mr J wrote:
I too am on my third windscreen. First replacement fitted in December 2008, stone chip turned into 30cm crack within an hour. Just had second replacement last Friday, stone chip at base of windscreen again cracked. Two days later another stone chip in centre of windscreen :headbang: , fingers crossed it doesn't crack before I can get it repaired. Thought I might just be really unlucky but looks like it's not just me.

You are just unlucky.

For many years I had no windscreen trouble at all - then on my old Audi A4 I needed 4 replacement windscreens in less than a year!

I have only needed 1 change on the X-trail, and that was early this year after the hard winter churned up all the roads and left lots of small chips all over the place.

Sometimes I wish mud flaps on cars were compulsory. I always have them fitted now, luckily they are standard on the X-trail.

Mud flaps prevent tar damage to your car from the front wheels and minimises the throw-back from the rear. Helps keep the back of your own vehicle cleaner as well.