All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Oil Catch Can
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:17 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Hi folks - I fitted an oil catch can but had some issues due to it's size.

I then saw an interesting video on Youtube where a guy got an air hose in-line filter and replaced it's innards with some steel wool and used that as a catch can instead.

So, as an experiment, I fitted this:

Attachment:
filter fitted.jpg

Here's a close up

Attachment:
close up.jpg

and it even fits under the engine cover

Attachment:
cover on.jpg

Some of those with sharper eyes might see some splash marks on my engine and wonder what they are - well, when I removed the engine cover, I must've dislodged the oil cap and when I went for a test drive, oil has splattered all over the engine :headbang: - worse still, it's all dripped down onto the driveway :bigcry:

I've now got a heck of a clean up job to do before SWMBO sees it! :lol:

Anyway, the car seems to run just fine and I'll keep an eye on the filter to see how much oil builds up and when it'll need emptying but so far so good.

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Mini Oil Catch Can
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:33 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Hi Bloggsy

Left the oil fill cap off :lol: :boxing:

Last time I did that I left a cloud of smoke on the M5 at the/Almonsbury interchange. Pulled in and 5 mins later officer dibble pulled in behind me. He kindly gave me 2 litres of oil which he happened to have in his patrol car. That was in 1988 and I have never done it since. Lesson learnt :whistle:

With regards to the mini catch can I think you will find that it will rapidly fill with oil especially if you have wire will in it. It also looks like the right hand pipe has a kink in it which could reduce air flow and could build up crankcase pressure. Make sure all pipes have smooth bends with no kinks.

Good luck with the experiment, be interested to see the results.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:36 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
milton wrote:
Hi Bloggsy

Left the oil fill cap off :lol: :boxing:

Last time I did that I left a cloud of smoke on the M5 at the/Almonsbury interchange. Pulled in and 5 mins later officer dibble pulled in behind me. He kindly gave me 2 litres of oil which he happened to have in his patrol car. That was in 1988 and I have never done it since. Lesson learnt :whistle:

With regards to the mini catch can I think you will find that it will rapidly fill with oil especially if you have wire will in it. It also looks like the right hand pipe has a kink in it which could reduce air flow and could build up crankcase pressure. Make sure all pipes have smooth bends with no kinks.

Good luck with the experiment, be interested to see the results.

Best regards

Thanks Milton - I'll straighten the pipe now.

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Bloggsy,

Nice experiment, but can't say I hold out much hope of it working.

An oil catch can needs 2 things to work:

A large enough volume, so that the incoming air/oil creates a drop in pressure dumping the oil.

The incoming air stream and out going air streams must not be in line - otherwise the oil will simply be pushed straight through.

I think you'll get a marginal amount of oil deposited, up as far as the blue centre plastic piece, on the incoming side, where the oil can sit.

CantankerousOne fitted one to his T31 here: viewtopic.php/?f=7&t=20377&p=149545

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:06 pm 
Xtrail Nut

eoinsully wrote:
Hi Bloggsy,

Nice experiment, but can't say I hold out much hope of it working.

An oil catch can needs 2 things to work:

A large enough volume, so that the incoming air/oil creates a drop in pressure dumping the oil.

The incoming air stream and out going air streams must not be in line - otherwise the oil will simply be pushed straight through.

I think you'll get a marginal amount of oil deposited, up as far as the blue centre plastic piece, on the incoming side, where the oil can sit.

CantankerousOne fitted one to his T31 here: viewtopic.php/?f=7&t=20377&p=149545

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Thanks Eoin - I'll check out the link later. I thought I'd be the first with this! :gathering: Never mind!

I'll try and remember and post a more close up of the in-line filter another day - the exit pipe actually goes into the centre of the 'can' with the exit hole being on the side of that pipe so as to minimise the amount of air going straight in and out of the filter (I hope that makes sense! A picture will make me more clear - sorry! :lol: ).

If nothing else, it'll show me how much oil vapour I've managed to save getting back into my engine - although, I'm sure you're right and the air going back in won't be totally clean but it's a start! :grin:

Cheers

Bloggsy

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Hey Bloggsy

Nothing wrong with experiments, its how we learn. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Best regards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:10 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi folks - I couldn't resist a small peek today and already, having only done about 10-20 miles, I seem to have accumulated about 2-3 ml (about half a teaspoon full) of watery oil! :o

Apologies but my phone was charging so I couldn't take any photo's! :lol: However, it's pretty shocking to think I've had the car for a year and I dread to think how much oil has been going round my engine.

For those who've not got oil catch cans, I would seriously consider getting one - for those who fancy something like mines, I'm off on a trip away for a few days tomorrow but I'll post links to where I got my stuff from.

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Well - I took the family for a 500 miles trip around the North of Scotland and the engine sounds a bit more 'raspy' than before but that could also be because I think there's a small hole in the exhaust! :lol: I didn't notice any issues with performance and I had another look and the 'can', which has a bit more oil in it than before my trip.

I'll post some pics tomorrow but it looks like 4-5ml (a teaspoon's worth) which, thankfully, isn't as much as I thought I'd accumulate given the amount that was in the 'can' after a day of driving around the city - probably means that the continuous use of the engine at motorway speeds generated less oily mist than my short journeys around town.

Need to go bed now - had a long trip and the car's an absolute mess! :whistle:

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi folks - here's some pics.

This was before I started my trip (i.e. after a day running around town - about 10-20 miles)

Attachment:
Before trip.jpg

This was after 500 miles (please don't start singing! :lol: )

Attachment:
After trip 3.jpg

I think I may have over-estimated the amount of oily liquid in my earlier post - when I disassembled the filter, I got about 3-4 ml worth out (and all over my hand/arm/driveway! :whistle: ). However, if you look at the pics, I also think the hose wasn't as tight as I'd have liked it, so the system may not have been completely air tight so I didn't get as much oily residue as I thought I would.

I've cleaned the filter and refitted it, so I'll see what it's like around town, now (whilst I look to see if I can get better fitments to allow me to make the system air tight).

Also, as promised earlier, here's a close up of the 'air flow out' valve with the hole in the side of the valve to minimise the amount of air flowing in and straight out

Attachment:
Air flow.jpg

I am by no means, an engineer or mechanic and there are lots of members who have much more technical knowledge than me, so feel free to post any comments or suggestions - I won't take offence! :grin:

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi folks - I had the mini oil-catch can on for 6 weeks and I can report that the level of oil didn't actually rise as much as I thought it would!

From new, and from a couple of times I cleaned the filter over the last 6 weeks, I seemed to have accumulated about a teaspoon full of 'oil' but it's never risen up to what i thought I would get. I might be wrong (I often am :lol: ) but I think oily mist goes round when the engine isn't up to temperature, but reduces when it does and the heat in the engine bay may be evaporating the oily residue in the PVC container.

Anyway, if nothing else, it's shown me how much oily crud is running about the air system, so I've taken out my experiment and re-fitted my catch can.

Attachment:
DSC_0041.JPG

As I've said earlier, I am now a total convert for catch cans and I've now started looking at fitting one to SWMBO's cash cow (I've not told her about this experiment yet, otherwise I'd never get peace until it was fitted!) :starwars:

Hope you like what I did!

Cheers

Bloggsy