Post subject: My X-Trail
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail of course
Model: Columbia 2.2 Oil Burner
Year/Plate: 06
Colour: Silver'ish
Mods: Dirt
Just a thread for me to muse about my X-Trail and to keep a sort of running commentry on its life while I have it.

Bought on 27th March 2015

Its a 2006 2.2 dci Columbia with 111k on the clock in a sort of Silvery gold'ish paint, one owner before me and what seems like a nice lot of service history, certainly appears to have all its bits done regularly, has already had its Sump replaced, currently I've noticed that there is some clonking from the rear that will need to be looked at sometime.

Today was spent changing the key fob batteries and re-programming them and an all round service, managed to get the oil and filter done (5-40 fully synth Morris), air filter and cabin filter, ran out of time for the fuel filter so that will have to wait. Was quite pleased to find the cabin filter not that grubby which sort of confirmed the regular servicing the vehicle appears to have had so far.

While in the oil bits I noticed an oil leak above the oil filter, tried to get a pic of it but just couldnt get it :roll: seems to be coming off the upper cam chain cover but looking down from the top it all seems fine, but from underneath there is something going on above the oil filter mmmmmmmmm have to keep an eye on that. Once I've done the fuel filter I'll have to stamp the book with my seal of approval :lol: more for my own record than its next owner

Also noticed what looks like the start of the tell tale leaky intercooler, so whipped off the top cover and grabbed some pics.

Right hand side

Left hand side

Under top plate

Will keep an eye on that, but its not looking to dodgy at the moment.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: My X-Trail
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:41 am 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T30
Model: SE 4WD dCi 136
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Black
Mods: Welded intercooler, amber indicators, amber strobes, heat wrapped downpipe, de-chromed handles, Sony WX-GT90BT stereo, AT tyres, black/grey interior refurb, mesh grille, temp camper conversion, built-in iPhone dock.
Hi Chris,

Intercooler definitely needs a change. I went for this one on my '06 dci:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1121188058

Rear knocking could be a cheap and satisfying fix:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36026
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36322

I also had what appeared to be a leak around/above the oil filter. I cleaned it all up and since changing the intercooler have had no problems. My guess is the oil ran down the side of the engine.

Hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 pm 
Xtrail Nut

dg-unit wrote:
Hi Chris,

Intercooler definitely needs a change. I went for this one on my '06 dci:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1121188058

Cheers, got that ebay link on my watch list now :cool: , wasnt sure if it was bad enough to warrant a change just yet, as I would have expected a lot more leakage if it was having good blow.

dg-unit wrote:
Rear knocking could be a cheap and satisfying fix:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36026
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36322

Thought it might be something like that, havent had a good crawl round the rear yet.

dg-unit wrote:
I also had what appeared to be a leak around/above the oil filter. I cleaned it all up and since changing the intercooler have had no problems. My guess is the oil ran down the side of the engine.

Hope it goes well!

I'm almost sure its not its not coming from the top as I've had a good rumage around the top end and cant find anything which would indicate its from the intercooler, unless I've missed something big time :confused:
Got me worried now :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:23 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Just a musing update.
Havent done anything to the vehicle but this weekend it did it's first bit of towing, two trips of 60miles mainly motorway pulling around ton, first trip pretty un-eventful, but the return run (from cold) she seemed quite diesel knocky to start with and was defo chucking some smoke under fairly light throttle, although it would have needed some boost to lug the load.
She stopped smoking after a while but still seemed quite diesel knocky, classic case of an over fueling diesel :confused: mmmmmmmmm
Improved to a degree once really warm but definiately when towing she's not as happy as lone running.
I've noticed when she's cold she sounds like she's over fueling when not towing and the standard diesel cold clatter takes a hell of a long time to quieten down and even then not completely, I had hoped a clean air filter would have improved things....obviously not.

Interesting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:11 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
They're famously un-refined when cold. My favourite description from another forumite was "like someone kicking a canvas bag of spanners down a fire escape"! What ACEA grade(s) does that Millers oil that you used comply with? I think general consensus here is that they need 5W40 fully synthetic and the very best quality you can afford. I haven't tried Mobil 1, but I've tried Castrol Edge, Fuchs Titan and Comma Synner-G so far and I think of those, the Fuchs just has the edge. Nothing really shuts it up when cold though.

Also, I notice your intercooler seems to be leaking at BOTH ends. Usually they go at the left hand (as you look under the bonnet) end, I think. It's possible that you're losing enough air through the leaks to make it over-fuel, I guess. I take it the smoke was black, rather than blue and that it doesn't burn oil?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Avocet wrote:
They're famously un-refined when cold. My favourite description from another forumite was "like someone kicking a canvas bag of spanners down a fire escape"!

Yeah seen this before and its about right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Avocet wrote:
What ACEA grade(s) does that Millers oil that you used comply with?

Used Morris oil a lot and never had any probs with it, data sheet says its A3 / B4 (same as the others) which I would have thought should be fine.
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/custo ... 205w40.pdf
I would have expect it to have been compliant enough for these lumps and its fine in my Almera.

Avocet wrote:
I think general consensus here is that they need 5W40 fully synthetic and the very best quality you can afford. I haven't tried Mobil 1, but I've tried Castrol Edge, Fuchs Titan and Comma Synner-G so far and I think of those, the Fuchs just has the edge. Nothing really shuts it up when cold though.

I would expect the Morris oil to match any of those really, I would expect it to rattle when they are cold but not to the degree or as long as she is currently.......however your next comment has given me more food for thought.....

Avocet wrote:
Also, I notice your intercooler seems to be leaking at BOTH ends. Usually they go at the left hand (as you look under the bonnet) end, I think. It's possible that you're losing enough air through the leaks to make it over-fuel, I guess. I take it the smoke was black, rather than blue and that it doesn't burn oil?

Defo black smoke and the pipes pretty sooty as well, ok so oil burners tend to have sooty tail pipes but this one is particularly sooty.
Right now you've got me thinking on this :thumbs: now I personally wouldnt say that its got a particularly leaky intercooler, believe me I saw and discarded far worse when looking at a number of vehicles with oil actually dripping from them rather than this which is just what appears to be a couple of slight "damp" patches and no visible oil as such, just some grubby bits.
Now stop me but I think a lot of the problems with oil ingestion is due to lack of air filter changes, a poorly maintained air filter will mean the engine will try and suck air from anywhere it can and will start to use more and more air from the breather system, this in-turn sucks in more oil vapours and could start to suck oil mist out of the engine and into the induction system and thus we start to see it condense again in the intercooler and escape from the leaky bits.
This can be verified by checking either side of the turbo, if the air input side and compressor side are in a similar oil messy then its unlikely to be a turbo seal problem but just a blocked or poorly maintained air filter causing the engine to ingest its own oil through the breather system.
Now back to my problem, as it appears my lumps been regularly serviced this means regular air filter changes and thus minimal oil ingestion thus I'm not seeing vast amounts of oil off the intercooler, however it could well be letting by a considerable amount of air but not showing it as an oil leakage as theres no oil to leak out :thumbs: and the over fuelling due to air leakage supports the extra diesel knock and black smoke especially when its cold, of course as the engine warms up as does the intercooler everything expands and the intercooler starts to seal itself back up to "a degree" and thus the everything starts to quieten down, but only after a long run because it takes that long to warm the intercooler up enough to start to seal it better, well a intercooler is designed to be cool, and I have found its quieter after being sat in traffic :idea:

Right thats quite a ramble, my next job I think will be to check for oil on either side of the turbo, then pressure test the intercooler cold and hot to verify the leakage, does anyone know what sort of boost these run, I wouldnt expect much more than 1Bar or 15psi max unless anyone knows ?

Might be on to something here :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Right first off if admin would like to move this thread to "Readers wives" .......oooops I mean "Reader Rides" :lol: it might be a better place for this thread.

Anyhow today was a "two spanner day" as I decided to try and track down the possible over fuelling and just to have a fiddle about cleaning bits and bobs :thumbs:

So I made a start with the Muff sensor, yep thats grubby in there.

Dirty one

Now clean

Interestingly I think the first two items you can see are temp sensors and the actual maff wire is much deeper down, you can sort of see it here, well sort of :confused: I've turned it round and its NOT the over exposed bits at the bottom but the little thingy at the top but its right deep down, you really have to look for it.

Right so thats that done, next up pull the top off the ERG and see if its all moving about how it should, here the top bit.

and theres the bottom bit and yep all seems OK, bit sooty but quite free to move :thumbs:

Right this intercooler leak, so off came the intercooler and all the pipes and metal catch can thingy which TBH looks like its as useful as a chocolate tea pot :roll: anyhow clean everything up and investigate first where the oil is coming from and yep as suspected its in the main coming from the main engine breather :roll:
The below shows the inside of the induction pipe after the maff but before it goes down to the turbo and you can plainly see that there is oil on the downstream side but not on the up stream side of where the breather pipe connects to it.

So lets actually see how much oil is floating about inside the intercooler

Not a huge amount then, so we'll clean all this up and also check the bit from the intercooler to the inlet manifold

Well thats not bad :thumbs:

So this "crimped" intercooler, lets try a bit of DIY re-crimping :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was quite surprised how much more I was able to crimp it up :thumbs: of course I'm sure this botch wont make a huge difference but every little helps as they say, well until I get a welded one.

Anyhow lobbed everything back in the engine bay randomly and took it for a little spin, so has it improved anything :confused: well yes and no, after a small hick up after 1/2 mile (expect that might have been the ERG and maff settling back down) it did seem to be smoother, still sounds like its over fueling a little at certain throttle positions, loading and RPM but nothing like it was, and smoke was minimal and even that might have been left over soot being pushed out :thumbs: so I think once we get a proper intercooler hopefully that will solve it, that and I may lob some injector cleaner in her and try a can of this ERG decoking malarky to improve the induction.

As for the engine breather I may well do a catch can for that or just vent it "elsewhere" :whistle:

So all in all a satisfactory Sunday afternoon me thinks :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:42 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Well done Chris, if you get really bored, you can always come up to Scotland and work on my car!! :lol:

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:00 pm 
Xtrail Nut

bloggsy wrote:
Well done Chris, if you get really bored, you can always come up to Scotland and work on my car!! :lol:

Cheers

Bloggsy

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah like thats going to happen when I have two other cars to keep running as well :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
x-trail-chris wrote:
bloggsy wrote:

Cheers

Bloggsy

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah like thats going to happen when I have two other cars to keep running as well :biggrin:

I know how you feel mate - SWMBO has been dropping more hints about getting me to look over her car, which I've been promising to do for the last year! :whistle:

Incidentally, now that you've had a bit of an engine clean up, have you considered resetting the ECU? It might be worth a bash to let the car re-learn itself now that you've got rid of a load of gunk. Also, re a catch can, I would defo recommend that. You don't want to have to repeat all your cleaning again next year! :biggrin:

Cheers

Bloggsy