Post subject: DPF Filter Problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:02 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Adventure
Year/Plate: 06
Colour: Silver
Mods: None
Hi I need
some help with my 2008 t31 xtail the DPF light came on about 1 month ago followed by the engine warning light. I took the car into my local nissan and they cleared the faults and did a force regen.
this was fine until a couple of week ago the car did the same thing less than (1000 miles) back it went to nissan and they tried and failed to do a regen and told me I need a New DPF cost around £1800. oh joy!

so I took it to a local garage who removed the DPF sent it off to be cleaned and came back with a full bill of health pressue loss over the filter negligiable.
so back to nissan to have the engine light cleared as the local garage could not access that part of the codes.

but Nissan say they still cant clear the faults and I still need a new DPF

any body know why the codes cant be cleared? I cant see why the cleaning would not work

unless its a sensor issue

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: DPF Filter Problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi,

If the a forced regen was done, the oil and filter MUST be changed, as diesel may be present in the oil.

What was the error code?

One of the sensors may need to be replaced.

See also, these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41729

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42793

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:03 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail of course
Model: Columbia 2.2 Oil Burner
Colour: Silver'ish
Mods: Dirt
eoinsully wrote:
Hi,

If the a forced regen was done, the oil and filter MUST be changed, as diesel may be present in the oil.

Having read the service bulletin I must admit I'm at a loss as to how the fuel is getting in with the oil :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm 
Xtrail Nut

x-trail-chris wrote:

Having read the service bulletin I must admit I'm at a loss as to how the fuel is getting in with the oil :confused:

In a Service Regeneration, extra diesel is injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke to raise the exhaust temperature and burn off the soot in the DPF. Some of this diesel gets past the piston ring on this stroke, and makes it's way into the sump.

Some manufacturers have an injector (GM as far as I'm aware) plugged directly into the DPF to do an active regen.

As much ~10% volume increase of oil can occur - Kurt Orbahn Shear Test shows a huge degration in oil stability when this happens, of which manufacturers are aware and this is why the oil and filter needs to be changed

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:03 pm 

Hi
yes the oil was changed when the forced regen was done, and this worked the first time but not the second ,
but after having sent away the DPF for cleaning the engine light wont go out , I don't know the codes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

mainb2000 wrote:
Hi
yes the oil was changed when the forced regen was done, and this worked the first time but not the second ,
but after having sent away the DPF for cleaning the engine light wont go out , I don't know the codes

Hi,

I recommend ringing the garage and asking what the code(s) was(were), as you have paid for this. As per the links above, if it's something like P0470, you will need a new sensor, as opposed to £1800 on a new DPF.

You can always invest in a standalone OBD2 reader for ~£40, which is always very useful to have, or a smartphone app like Torque Pro and ELM327 OBDII reader.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:40 am 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
eoinsully wrote:

You can always invest in a standalone OBD2 reader for ~£40, which is always very useful to have, or a smartphone app like Torque Pro and ELM327 OBDII reader.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

I use ELM with my windows phone (some other app than Torque but in general they are all the same) and it works like a charm. Total cost is less than 10 pounds (ELM device and cost of app)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:38 am 

Hi
I did have a ELM337 but havent used before so I down loaded the app and the only fault code it comes up with is P1435 which is DPF regeneration

so are my options to either replace one sensor at a time and hope that this will clear the fault ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:14 pm 
Xtrail Nut

mainb2000 wrote:
Hi
I did have a ELM337 but havent used before so I down loaded the app and the only fault code it comes up with is P1435 which is DPF regeneration

so are my options to either replace one sensor at a time and hope that this will clear the fault ?

As far as I'm aware, if the regen fails and you get a P1435, you need Consult to clear it, as most suite can't access that part of the ECU to clear the code. So you have a clean DPF which was chemically cleaned, but the ECU has logged a failed regen, hence the code.

I think another member, Inishanier had a guy with a Snap On kit do it, see end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5330&start=20

You could try the clear function on the app or the DIY method of pumping the pedal: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14954 - sometimes, it will clear by itself after a few days.

If there are no other error codes, the differential pressure sensor should be okay. I think Nissan are just trying get you shell out for a new DPF.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail of course
Model: Columbia 2.2 Oil Burner
Colour: Silver'ish
Mods: Dirt
eoinsully wrote:
x-trail-chris wrote:

In a Service Regeneration, extra diesel is injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke to raise the exhaust temperature and burn off the soot in the DPF. Some of this diesel gets past the piston ring on this stroke, and makes it's way into the sump.

Some manufacturers have an injector (GM as far as I'm aware) plugged directly into the DPF to do an active regen.

As much ~10% volume increase of oil can occur - Kurt Orbahn Shear Test shows a huge degration in oil stability when this happens, of which manufacturers are aware and this is why the oil and filter needs to be changed

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Thanks for that Eoin, cant believe its good for anything :-? well maybe the DPF, what a pants way of trying to fix the problem, talk about an after thought :roll: