All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: N/S Front Brake Caliper Replaced
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
Had to change the near side front brake caliper today as the old one had a seized piston, not bad though I've had ten years out of it. I've seen a few members on here having changed theirs three times and it always seems to be the N/S front that goes. I took quite a few photos so I may do a How to change it. :smile:

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: N/S Front Brake Caliper Replaced
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:42 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
:thumbs: Nice one Umbongo, a "how to" would be excellent. I have recently been hearing a noise coming from the front brakes - like the discs are slightly warped as the noise isn't constant - under braking. I wonder if they are distorting/warping (the set I had changed last year were warped) because the pistons aren't working on both sides due to a faulty caliper? A how to would be good, seen some replacement (remanufactured) calipers on eBay for around £70 a side... is that reasonable, what's your thoughts on remanufactured/refurbished parts??

Shay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

shaymeboy wrote:
:thumbs: Nice one Umbongo, a "how to" would be excellent. I have recently been hearing a noise coming from the front brakes - like the discs are slightly warped as the noise isn't constant - under braking. I wonder if they are distorting/warping (the set I had changed last year were warped) because the pistons aren't working on both sides due to a faulty caliper? A how to would be good, seen some replacement (remanufactured) calipers on eBay for around £70 a side... is that reasonable, what's your thoughts on remanufactured/refurbished parts??

Shay
Hi Shay, I can't see any problem fitting re-manufactured ones as they must carry some sort of guarantee on them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:03 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi folks,

Surprised so many people are replacing them, and so often?

Mine went sticky (yep, NSF) after being off the road for so long during my trial-by-engine, however I stripped it, cleaned everything up, rebuilt it using the original seals (apart from one I ripped myself - borrowed another from the spares car), bled new fluid through and it's been perfect ever since.

Are we shelling out for replacements when all that really needed is a little elbow grease, a free afternoon and clean fluid?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

creationracing wrote:
Hi folks,

Surprised so many people are replacing them, and so often?

Mine went sticky (yep, NSF) after being off the road for so long during my trial-by-engine, however I stripped it, cleaned everything up, rebuilt it using the original seals (apart from one I ripped myself - borrowed another from the spares car), bled new fluid through and it's been perfect ever since.

Are we shelling out for replacements when all that really needed is a little elbow grease, a free afternoon and clean fluid?
Hi Roy, I've had the new calliper for a few years now in the garage so I was lucky it was the nsf one and it saved me a little time stripping the old one down and fitting new pistons that cost about £25 each and then a new seal kit maybe about £40 or more. I bought the caliper on ebay about five years ago for £35 genuine one too :smile: I saw a set a while back they'd been refurbished and had a starting price of £60 and I was surprised no one bid on them. When I have a bit of time I'll strip the one I took off and rebuild it with new parts as the bushes for the sliding pins get worn over time and don't allow the caliper to operate properly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 am 
Xtrail Nut

Bargain-tastic! :bow:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

creationracing wrote:
Bargain-tastic! :bow:
Bargain it was Roy! :mrgreen:
Left click jpeg twice file for max view

Attachment:
SV401426.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Previously - X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Wind Deflectors....
Hello Umbongo,

That looks a tidy job, you'll be pleased it's sorted before winter starts. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

shaymeboy wrote:

Shay
Hi Shay, why not buy a new one from these suppliers I've used them myself for brake service kits in the past as they're local to me so I can collect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRAI ... 35b62ce945

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRAI ... 35b648696e

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

johnrimm wrote:
Hello Umbongo,

That looks a tidy job, you'll be pleased it's sorted before winter starts. :thumbs:

Best wishes, John
Hi John, yes I'm glad I caught it in time before it damaged the rotor. I'll have to tackle the struts dust boots soon as they're all split, but it's not an M.O.T. fail thankfully and I'll have to get underneath in the spring and deal with the rust like your intending to do, I think KILVY has done his already.