It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 4:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Blue sidelight lens make LED's look blue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm 
Soft Roader

I got some white LED's to replace my sidelight bulbs.

I can't believe how blue they look behind the blue lenses. Outside the headlight, they just look white.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Blue sidelight lens make LED's look blue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Subaru
Model: Forester XT
Colour: Silver
Yep - that is what happens unfortunately as the blue lens is to whiten up a 5w dull yellow bulb. Have tried them all and they all look blue. Mine aren't as blue as that though but look more blue when the HID's are on. Am trying some soft white LED's as soon as they arrive so will let you know if these are any better but not holding out much hope.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 DCI Adventura
Year/Plate: 2007
Colour: Grey
I have recently changed my sidelights to LED's and also am surprised how blue they seem! Not been pulled for it though and not sure if I will as offically the LED's are pure white so the blue tint comes from the actual headlights. I have also changed the number plate lights to LED's and they look the dogs danglies very bright and even shine on the road behind the car!

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Smirnoff wrote:
I have recently changed my sidelights to LED's and also am surprised how blue they seem! Not been pulled for it though and not sure if I will as offically the LED's are pure white so the blue tint comes from the actual headlights. I have also changed the number plate lights to LED's and they look the dogs danglies very bright and even shine on the road behind the car!

Nice theory but unfortunately not going to cut it with a strict Plod! The bulb may well be white but it's the colour that shows that is the offence. You have a white light behind a red tail light so you'd loose your argument there. The problem is the blue lens and some LED's make it appear more blue than others. It looks worse from the side normally but head on the blue isn't as noticable and the reason is the blue is "thicker" at the edges of the lens. I've tried to source Canadian lenses as theres are white because they are the indicators over there with orange bulbs in them. Difficulty is though you have to take the headlight apart to change them and I can't source just the lens.

Options are: stick with the 5w standard bulb and accept it's yellow looking or use an LED bulb and if stopped, tell Mr Plod he must be colour blind! Suggest first option :lol:

It's been pointed out on here before though that the offence would probably be having a non "E" marked bulb, rather than the colour.

Hope this helps?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.2 DCI Adventura
Year/Plate: 2007
Colour: Grey
Vandy wrote:
Smirnoff wrote:

Nice theory but unfortunately not going to cut it with a strict Plod! The bulb may well be white but it's the colour that shows that is the offence. You have a white light behind a red tail light so you'd loose your argument there. The problem is the blue lens and some LED's make it appear more blue than others. It looks worse from the side normally but head on the blue isn't as noticable and the reason is the blue is "thicker" at the edges of the lens. I've tried to source Canadian lenses as theres are white because they are the indicators over there with orange bulbs in them. Difficulty is though you have to take the headlight apart to change them and I can't source just the lens.

Options are: stick with the 5w standard bulb and accept it's yellow looking or use an LED bulb and if stopped, tell Mr Plod he must be colour blind! Suggest first option :lol:

It's been pointed out on here before though that the offence would probably be having a non "E" marked bulb, rather than the colour

Hope this helps?

Yes very good points, shame really that they are blue to start with, as the LED's are extremly effective bulbs!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail T31
Model: 2.0 dCi Aventura Explorer 173ps MT6
Year/Plate: 2008/08
Colour: Blade Silver
Mods: Sidelights, Rears, Interiors, Puddles: All White LEDs, Rubber mats, Rigid upper boot liner, Loadnet, BG244 De-coke & 2SO 1:200
Vandy wrote:
You forgot: Pick up a T31...(possibly overkill?) :whistle: :lol:

Aitch

Last edited by Aitch on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
Wow... they really do look blue! I don't understand, maybe my blue lenses aren't quite as blue as yours but mine (with 5 bulb LED's in) are no where near as blue... just a hint of blue on mine really. I had to just go and check, have taken a picture with my phone... not brilliant but you can see that the light is bright white with a hint of blue round the edge :-?

Attachment:
photo3.JPG

Attachment:
photo.JPG

As I had mentioned before, it seems that the brighter the LED, the less blue it looked I found after trying 2 different kinds of LED

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:50 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Shay. Can you post the details of your LED's? I've got the 13LED in mine and they aren't as white as yours and I don't think as bright either.

Oh it's pathetic isn't it, "yours are brighter than mine" How old are you Vandy :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Aitch wrote:
Vandy wrote:
You forgot: Pick up a T31...(possibly overkill?) :whistle: :lol:

Aitch

:oops: ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:50 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.0L SE+ Auto
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Metallic Green
Mods: HID bi-xenon 6000k head lights, Front wind deflectors, Rear chrome corner bars, Handle under boot shelf, Goodyear Wrangler A/W tyres, Aero wipers, Reverse parking camera and sensors, N501 Double din Head Unit with SAT NAV, DVD, DVBT, etc.
Vandy wrote:
Hi Shay. Can you post the details of your LED's? I've got the 13LED in mine and they aren't as white as yours and I don't think as bright either.

Oh it's pathetic isn't it, "yours are brighter than mine" How old are you Vandy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Vandy, checked back through my eBay purchases and found them. Bought them (via Ebay) from CS-Automods but when I try to type the name in (copied and pasted from the purchase history) it says "can't be found"... very strange.

This is the name of them 12v 501, W5W LED 360° SIDELIGHT BULBS ULTRA BRIGHT

I have found them on another site though http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/50 ... ree-bulbs/

I can't understand how you have 13 LED lights in each bulb and yet they aren't as bright as these :-?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next