All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.0 dCi not getting fuel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:01 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
Hi,
Heve had serious problems couple of last days.
Started when I was standing still and having chat in a car for half an hour -20 degrees celsius. I started driving and card died. Cranked it up, managed to drive another 20 meters and died again. So after 5-6 attempts I decided to call Auto Aid (it was midnight). So while I was waiting them to recover me I opened the bonnet and squeezed hand pump. Pump stayed in vacuum but car started. Actually I was managed to drive home (20km). I stopped at petrol station, bought diesel additive and topped up tank. I was guessing that last tank was not best quality fuel and it froze.
So next morning started to drive to work and 500 meters from home it died again. Again I was able to limp home doing 50 meter intevals between each time it died. It was freezing cold. Some mechanics suggested to change fuel filter. So I bought one, changed it and I was trying to prime it with hand pump but pump stayed in vacuum so seemed that fuel is not getting in from tank. Eventually hand pump filled with fuel during 30 mins so priming the filter took around 4 hours. Tried to start the car but battery died completelly. So today I went and bought new battery. Car started but handpump again stayed into vacuum when I pressed it. Car was able to idle but as soon as I tried to take it for a spin it died.

So clearly I cant get furl from tank to filter. Anyone faced this kind of problem before? What to chek? im out of ideas.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: 2.0 dCi not getting fuel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:09 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi,

The breather hose at the tank may be blocked or have dirt and moisture that is frozen. Try priming the hand primer bulb with the fuel tank full cap removed and see if it makes a difference. You may also have water or other contaminants in the tank. The other possibility is that you have an air ingress at the bulb, hose or filter.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:56 pm 
Off Roader

Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
where is the end of this breather hose.

Seems really plausible because I went to car wash on the night all those problems happened. water froze everywhere of course when I drove out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:19 pm 
Off Roader

didnt help.
Handpump still in vacuum. Car is able to idle but not drive. Air leak into hand pump is not logical, pump is in vacuum and completelly collapsed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

ndrk wrote:
didnt help.
Handpump still in vacuum. Car is able to idle but not drive. Air leak into hand pump is not logical, pump is in vacuum and completelly collapsed

Okay so the bulb is completely collapsed. Suggests a blockage between the fuel filter and tank. You can loose the clip to allow air back in which may help you pull air/fuel through the hose, but it sounds like a pretty serious blockage. You may have to lift the seat and open the tank inspection port or disconnect the fuel hose under the tank and empty out any blockage.

Diagram here: https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/nissan/part/EL/T31/172

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:57 am 
Off Roader

Today i was able to drive to work. It was nice and warm weather (-10) and i was real easy on throttle. Ball is still collapsed though. Parked my car to heated parking buildig for a day. Hopefully blockage melts and Im a happy man in the evening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I would say that it is fuel related. I Tartu was -29 on friday, and i could not press the hand pump. I do not know about Tallinn, but in tartu Go Oil sells diesel up to -44c. But it was too late for me too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:53 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 2.2di
Year/Plate: 2003
Tank air vent frozen / diesel waxing....
Try running a hose from a 5 gall drum of clean diesel straight to the engine, as from the filter outlet, if that's ok, try it through the filter,
Is the pump pushing diesel out of the filter inlet ?
If it's waxing we used to use a gallon paraffin in the tank / heating oil works too...
I have even accidentally used a 25% petrol to 75% diesel in my citroen c4 2008..... Garage attendant nearly (%$) himself when I said it will be fine and drove away :biggrin: The car had a certain sparkle to it that day :biggrin: It's still running very well and that was 2 years ago.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm 
Off Roader

Is it possible that ECU went into some kind safe mode?
There is no power. How can i reset ecu?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:21 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 2.2di
Year/Plate: 2003
That wont make the hand primer bulb stay in,,,,,,
Just had a thought,, your car has a supply pump to the filter,,,, just pull off your inlet to the pump and see if your getting plenty of flow/ pressure from there.... make sure you squirt the diesel into a container..
I realise all this is all no fun in the freezing cold...