It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Con Temperature - Can you get it moderately cool?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T32
Model: 1.6dCi Tekna 2WD Manual 5 Seat
Year/Plate: 14/64
Colour: Gun Metallic
Mods: Detachable Towbar
I'm struggling to regulate the temperature when driving. I like a fairly cool environment even in winter and in previous cars I've achieved this by setting a low fan speed and lowish temperature (say 18 degrees, not on Auto). This, as far as I'm concerned, should chuck out air at approx 18 degrees, which brings the car up to temperature ok when you get in and the outside temp is freezing, but then doesn't go too much hotter once it's there.

What I'm finding in the T32 is that even at 16 degrees it simply belches out warm air (which feels a LOT warmer than 16) and will continue do so even though the cabin must have reached that (even though it shouldn't matter, when not on auto!).

The only way I can get anything like cool air is by putting it on Lo, which is obviously a bit extreme and certainly isn't suitable to just get a nice fresh breeze on my face without freezing the rest. I can reduce the blast by turning down the fan speed and adjusting the outlet settings, but I really don't think I should have to do that every time when I have a 16 degree setting on the car.

Is my air con faulty? I don't want to leave it til the summer before finding that it's not working right and the Lo setting is only really working because the outside air is cold at the moment.

Thanks,
Andrew

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Air Con Temperature - Can you get it moderately cool?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna AWD 7 Seat
Year/Plate: 2015
Colour: Silver
Can't say I've really noticed as I don't usually have the AC on.

But, I have noticed that, when it is on, it doesn't seem up to the job. I had it on when it was raining recently and the windows would fog up quite quickly with just me in it. AC could not remove the moisture fast enough. Ended up having to tilt the sunroof open. Perhaps mine's just faulty.

I'm on longish trip tomorrow so I'll see what mine does when setting the temp.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:12 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
The moist will not go with aircon on.... I can imagine that!! The whole car is moist (If you leave it outside) after a few weeks rain... And if you put the stove on 16 degrees, it NEVER wil dry.
Try to dry the car by drive it with a more or less normal 21 degrees with aircon ON and after a few days the moist in the car might be gone.

A drove a Focus. The aircon did not work at a temp., lower as 8 degrees. Always misted windows in winter...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

dieseldave wrote:
I'm on longish trip tomorrow so I'll see what mine does when setting the temp.
Thanks dieseldave.
I did ask my local Nissan dealer and the guy said he'd expect it to push out cool air when set at 16 degrees. I'm waiting for some follow-up regarding a headlight query but he said they'd check out the temperature when I'm next over there.
I want to get it sorted asap because I know it can cause damage to the a/c compressor if left with low gas.
I always leave my a/c on and believe the constant running is better for the system overall, and is worth the small mpg penalty. Haven't noticed any moisture problems unless it's a really wet and steamy day, but the a/c does soon clear it so I guess mine can't be THAT bad - just seems overly warm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:27 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: 2016 Xtrail 1.6DCI
Model: Tekna 4x4
Year/Plate: 2016
Colour: gun metal
Mods: Protection Pack,
I know in Nissan (and probably others) is the AC pressure gets too low it's shuts down the system to prevent damage. You can normally tell if the ac isn't working by noticing the car taking longer to demist
When car at normal running temp if you switch on the ac you should see a tiny dip in rpm just as the compressor kicks in and the electronics compensate. It is really a tiny blip so you have to watch the rev counter close.
This happened to my Qashqai and turned out to be a small split in the condensor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:14 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna AWD 7 Seat
Year/Plate: 2015
Colour: Silver
My experience is exactly as you describe.
Set for 18 degrees Auto for 30 minutes. Then set manual 16 degrees, fan on full. Nothing but warm air.

Set to Lo, got cold air.

However, Leaving it set to 16 Auto, the cabin was noticeably cooler after about 15 minutes. But, it's certainly not reacting as I would expect an A/C unit to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: 2016 Xtrail 1.6DCI
Model: Tekna 4x4
Year/Plate: 2016
Colour: gun metal
Mods: Protection Pack,
another thing that can cause issue with AC is the pollen filter, but I doubt it would be clogged on the age of your car. Might be worth a look though (check it's not in upside down)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

dieseldave wrote:
My experience is exactly as you describe.
Set for 18 degrees Auto for 30 minutes. Then set manual 16 degrees, fan on full. Nothing but warm air.

Set to Lo, got cold air.

However, Leaving it set to 16 Auto, the cabin was noticeably cooler after about 15 minutes. But, it's certainly not reacting as I would expect an A/C unit to.
Thanks very much for following up on that dieseldave, very interesting. I guess it might have been easier if you'd said nice n chilly at 16 degrees but now I'm stuck with the usual argument with Nissan who'll claim that's the way it's designed to work or something (unless you're very unlucky and we have the same 'fault').
If this is the case it'll be a real pain in warmer weather having to set it on Lo all the time, and adjust the fan speed to prevent the family from having to dress like polar explorers.
I'll try and get it in to Nissan and will let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:21 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

antdat wrote:
I know in Nissan (and probably others) is the AC pressure gets too low it's shuts down the system to prevent damage. You can normally tell if the ac isn't working by noticing the car taking longer to demist
When car at normal running temp if you switch on the ac you should see a tiny dip in rpm just as the compressor kicks in and the electronics compensate. It is really a tiny blip so you have to watch the rev counter close.
This happened to my Qashqai and turned out to be a small split in the condensor
Thanks antdat, I'm reasonably sure it's kicking in as I recall listening out for another post on here about that, and it does eventually get pretty cold on Lo. Probably won't be sure until some warmer weather, but I will have a closer listen again tomorrow. It's behaving like it's working but very inefficiently, or badly designed at the lower temps. Ref the pollen filter I tend to drive on recirculate a lot of the time as there's only me in the car, and I hate being stuck behind smelly old vehicles! I don't know if that takes the pollen filter out of the equation on T32, or even where the pollen filter is.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:40 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
The problem is that the air con is only one part of the climate control system. The lowest it can go is 16degC. So if the outside/air temp is low the climate control system will use the heat setting to raise the inside temp to 16. If the outside temp is high it will use the air con to cool the interior to 16. It will use the/air con when cold outside to aid demisting. So if you put the selector on windscreen setting on a cool morning you will get cold air out of the top vents.

The only way you could get the/air con on full in the winter would be to insulate the outside air temp sensor so you kid the system.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin: