It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 3:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hill start assist
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 am 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2007 manual 173 sport
Year/Plate: 57
Colour: Thundercloud
Just joined the x-t fraternity after acquiring a 2007 manual 173 sport. Great car, but I am puzzled by the hill start assist feature. It only seems to operate on steep hills.WHY?
I also have a BMW 3 series with the same feature, and it operates every time you pull away from a standstill on the slightest gradient. This means you can rely on it and don't need to use the handbrake for hill starts.
So can anybody explain the logic behind why the x-t doesn't just operate all the time like the BMW?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Hill start assist
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:19 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
You would have to ask a Jap software engineer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
Hi Buster,

Welcome,

As chris says, someone made the decision to make it work at angles of 10 degrees or more.
No idea about the reasoning behind it.

Don't forget to fill in your vehicle details in your profile. :thumbs:

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 am 
Off Roader

Model: Tekna. Manual. Diesel. 173.
Year/Plate: 2009/59
Colour: Blade
Mods: Tow bar (fixed).
You're right - steepness seems critical. Have tried mine on a pretty steep incline and it worked ok but haven't got enough confidence in it to rely on it every time as it doesn't seem to hold on anything less than steep...........and I can't be bothered to check in the mirror to see if any one's behind when I'm pulling away on a hill just in case I roll back! I could also get away on a hill until I tried hill start assist.

Another bit of Nissan technology that they haven't quite got right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:01 pm 

Model: 2007 manual 173 sport
Year/Plate: 57
Colour: Thundercloud
Thanks for the views. The more I play with the car the sillier the hill start assist implementation seems to be, mainly because of the uncertainty of whether it's going to cut in.
As it happens I'm in Japan on business right now and can't help noticing (a) there's a lot of x-trails, (b) there's a GT model we don't get in the UK and (c) there are few hills in Tokyo so the software engineer is probably living in blissful ignorance of his HDC balls-up.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0 dCi 173 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011 July
Colour: Haptic Blue
Mods: Hard trunkliner. Extreme roof rails with roof bars. "Rhino Rack" roof basket for the "Oz Tent". Left luggage drawer. "Dog Tent" thingy for a Yorkshire Terrorist. Front & rear parking sensers. Posh rugs. Protection Pack.
I just ignore mine & keep using the handbrake as I was taught to about a million years ago. It's more reliable! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
I have been caught out though, apply the hand brake what you think is hard enough, ok, then 2 sec later you roll back as the hill assist times off.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0 dCi 173 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011 July
Colour: Haptic Blue
Mods: Hard trunkliner. Extreme roof rails with roof bars. "Rhino Rack" roof basket for the "Oz Tent". Left luggage drawer. "Dog Tent" thingy for a Yorkshire Terrorist. Front & rear parking sensers. Posh rugs. Protection Pack.
chrisuk wrote:
I have been caught out though, apply the hand brake what you think is hard enough, ok, then 2 sec later you roll back as the hill assist times off.

chrisuk

I know what you mean. Now I just add that extra notch, plus my hand is always on it as well. The handbrake that is! :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
I dunno, modern cars eh?! We're just getting too clever for our own good! My last 2 company cars had "hill hold" - neither were 4x4s, just ordinary MPVs. The Peugeot 5008 hill hold would work on pretty much any incline, but was programmed to release itself a few seconds after taking your foot off the brake. The result was that on very gentle inclines, if you (tut tut!) didn't use the handbrake, you'd think it had just come to a stop but a few seconds later you'd start rolling! It would also let the car roll forwards on a downhill slope (going forwards) but not backwards (and backwards down a downhill slope facing backwards, but only in reverse gear). That was handy for just rolling forwards a few car lengths at a time in a queue that was waiting for the lights at the bottom of a hill.

The current SEAT Alhambra is better. That just seems to leave the brakes applied indefinitely at whatever intensity you last pressed the brake pedal. (In other words, if I come to a stop on a steep hill and put my foot on the footbrake to prevent the car from moving, it just keeps them applied at that level until the clutch next starts to come up. Unfortunately that then doesn't allow you to roll down a hill in neutral in a slow queue like the Peugeot does.

I can't deny that these are "sort-of" useful functions, but I'm reasonably OK at hill starts anyway and was of the generation that learned to drive without these aids. I do however, do all my own maintenance on my own cars and frankly, I'd rather have more simplicity than more "aids"! Exies seem to be famous for binding brakes as it is. The very LAST thing I'd want, out of warranty, is the hassle of trying to sort out a "sticking brake" which was actually nothing to do with the brakes but some sort of software problem with the hill hold!