It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 4:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Potentially dangerous car?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 Dci Sport
Year/Plate: 2004
Colour: Silver
Mods: Brembo discs and pads all round. Tinted windows. Led interior lights. And a monkey swinging from my rearview mirror :D
Hello everyone.

When I opened my boot earlier today to give it a clean I noticed that my strut/suspension has moved upwards breaking the surrounding plastic inside the boot.
When bouncing the rear of the car to check certain things I noticed the strut and metal surround was moving slightly upwards independant of
the plastic surround. I can also no longer fit the strut cover due to the strut sticking up more than usual. I also lifted out the hard plastic cover that covers the spare wheel and I can no longer get it back into place, it is now overhanging the gap by about 1cm.
I can only speculate based on my limited knowledge but all my thoughts are coming back that this is a dangerous thing and I am thinking this has/is changing the structural integrity of the vehicle.
I rely on my car for everyday use and unfortunately would be very difficult due to location to do without one.

Can anyone share any information about this issue and thoughts on whether this is now a dangerous car to drive?
I had a look under the wheel arch and couldn't see anything that jumped out at me other than a bit of rust and a small hole/gap into the boot area.
This movement has happened within the past week or at least enough to now crack the plastic and make fitting the cover impossible.

Unfortunately no garages are open at the weekends so will have to try during the week which is a logistical pain.

I have enclosed a picture to show more what I mean
Attachment:
20180310_150715.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Potentially dangerous car?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:27 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
i am no mechanic... but my advice would be do not drive it, any thing suspension can have catastrophic results if there is a failure, and as this wheel is just one of the 4 points of contact with the ground the last thing you need is for a failure at speed, as it could potentially roll a car! I have picked up the pieces of similar failures more than once.

Have you AA/RAC ect, perhaps call them out?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:50 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 2.2dci sve
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Blue
Ive seen an xtrail in the scrap yard few months back where the strut tower had rusted and has separated all the way around so the suspension wasn't attached to the body.

If I was you I would break the plastic cover off seen as it's already broken and see how bad it is, looks like you have some rust under there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:02 pm 
Off Roader

Mods: Brembo discs and pads all round. Tinted windows. Led interior lights. And a monkey swinging from my rearview mirror :D
Thanks for the answers guys. Hard to write up and respond with a little one demanding attention, and that is why I am all the more cautious as I do not want to risk having them in the car.
Mark - I am a member of the AA but don't have homestart but out of curiosity, if I did would they come out to the house on such an issue?
Quote:
the last thing you need is for a failure at speed, as it could potentially roll a car! I have picked up the pieces of similar failures more than once.
I had thoughts similiar to this which is why I am quite concerned and don't want to risk it. Also around where I am there are only fast roads unfortunately.

It is a frustrating situation as I still have 2 years worth of payments on this motor, and I have already forked out a lot of money on repairs as it is. Also, even if this could be patched I would not be overly convinced of the safety of it. Maybe I am being too pessimistic but I have heard a lot of horror stories many many moons ago from mechanic friends in another life and my own experiences add to them.

Thanks again, not sure where I am going yet. Probably out with the bike and the long cycle to work to lose some of this accumalated daddy fat from the past couple of years :lol: :bigcry: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:25 am 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2 SVE
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Zinc
If you dont have home start drive the car 1/4 of a mile away from home and then call the AA pretty sure that is the requirement for them to come out to you and then you can find out asap what is going on with the suspension.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Do you have a local garage that does MOT's ?

If so, book it in for an pre mot and ask them to specifically look at the rear suspension.

Sounds like the turret is failing to me. If so can be played and welded reasonably cheaply.

Personally, I would not drive it until you know what the problem is.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 am 

Model: T30 2.2dci
Year/Plate: 54
Colour: silver
I'm shocked nobody has said it yet...You answered your own question in the first sentence.

It's dangerous to drive in that condition. If the strut tower has moved/flexed enough to break the plastic trim, it's likely to completely break away in very short time from there. The result of that will most likely be an accident. The rear turrets are a known corrosion area. Most don't get to be that bad before being spotted and don't have any movement. For that turret to move at all, it must be corroded a significant way around the circumference and constant movement which will occur while driving will fatigue the remaining metal holding it in double quick time causing it to fail. It's probable that the opposing front wheel will lift off the ground when the tower breaks and collapses, leaving you with greatly reduced braking and steering.

Get it picked up on a trailer/breakdown truck and don't drive it until it's been repaired properly. It's simply not worth risking your life, or anybody else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:12 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T32 1.6dci nTec 4WD 5 Seater. Previous 04 T30 dci
Year/Plate: 2014 64
Colour: Grey
Mods: Detachable Swan Neck Towbar
Hi. Have you checked the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch compared to the other side. That should tell you how much it has dropped. Looks to me like the suspension top has corroded and split.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.0 petrol SE+
Year/Plate: 2002
Colour: Sliver
Hi,

Dangerous without doubt, just had mine done both sides £260 to plate and fully weld. The problem occurs because the intelligent people at Nissan spot weld a support bracket inside the wheel well in the turret area and under seal but water obviously but not to Nissan gets behind and starts the problem you have.
DO NOT drive your car in this condition, if you make any worse than it is the car will effectively be scrap because you are separating the suspension from the car.

Mel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 pm 
Off Roader

Hi all and thank you for your information. I have decided the car is going to stay put, wouldn't want to risk myself or others. Will maybe see if I can borrow a trailer and take it to a garage for inspection however I am not overly keen on the idea of driving this again even if welded, just doesn't sit right with me.

cowboy wrote:
Hi. Have you checked the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch compared to the other side. That should tell you how much it has dropped. Looks to me like the suspension top has corroded and split.

Hi, there is about a 2-3cm difference in the gap between the sides and it may be my mind playing tricks but I am sure this has increased since I first noticed it yesterday

Trevini wrote:
The rear turrets are a known corrosion area. Most don't get to be that bad before being spotted and don't have any movement.
Yeah that is bugging me a bit. Early/mid last year I had extensive work done on this corner. I also had the car MOT'd in December and new rear calipers put on and never heard a single peep from either garage about any potential problem with this. Possibly just not obvious, the car has hardly done any miles since then though. I also had new rear shocks done but that was almost 2 years ago but still, surely it takes a long time for this corrosion to set in this much, meaning surely someone would have noticed? Oh well, it's done anyway. :frown:

Are the T31's as bad as the T30's when it comes to rust?

Anyway, this whole problem does explain a few noise related niggles in the back of my mind that I have had for a while, at least I am attributing them to this :lol:

Thanks again everyone for your help. I may start looking out for a T31 - they have grown on me since being a member of the forum but that's a big maybe, depends on how generous the bank is :gathering: