All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel misfire
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 SVE
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Zinc
I have a 2005 2.2 dci which has just reach 100,000 which feels like it has a misfire but a diesel, so far I have changed to the fuel filter, cleaned the k&n filter,cleaned the MAF sensor but not fixed the problem, my next plan is the try erg cleaner to see if that sorts it out it currently has a slightly rough idle, have watch the rev counter really closely and it does seem to raise but only very very slightly so it could be suction valve on its way out, car does feel slightly under powered, if I drive it it will skip along fine but if I have to stop off at the shops on way home and then restart the car it feels like something is stuck open or closed it just doesnt run correctly.

Cheers Ian

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Diesel misfire
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Columbia DCi
Year/Plate: 06
Colour: Black
Mods: Pedders Suspension Lift,Bertye straight pipe back box replacement, Bridgestone Duelers on 16" wheels
You could always take the EGR off then give it a clean and stick some injector cleaner in the tank to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:12 am 
Soft Roader

I had a similar feeling of a missfire/ rough idle and it turned out to be the dual mass flywheel that had failed. The bearing in the middle of the DMF breaks up and it gets out of balance.

Easiest way of checking is to remove the crank sensor of the bottom of the bell housing and check for metal particles stuck to the sensor. If its covered, your DMF needs replacing..

This was on a 2005 dci with 108,000 miles, initially I thought it was the SCV so i replaced that with no luck then went and replaced the DMF and clutch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am 
Off Roader

Thanks for the replies, got a big can of erg cleaner which wont do it any harm to give it a good soaking, just ran through a can of BG244 and then a full tank of BP ultimate (would have used them together but the garage down the bottom has only just changed to BP normally run on Shell)

Will have a look at the sensor,now that I am thinking the clutch does have a bit of a judder when pulling away so it could 2 and 2 together,whats the going rate for a DMF and clutch fitted?(if it is that I can get a new rear crankshaft oil seal fitted at the same time,trying to look at it as a positive!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:55 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2.2 dCi Sport
Year/Plate: Sept 05
Mods: Dog Guard, LED Side and Interior Lights - New Turbo, New Intercooler, New Fuel Transport Pump, New Clutch and Flywheel, 4 New Brake Calipers, New Sump Pan, New ARB Bushes, New Drop Links - Tells you all you need to know about the X-Trail
I paid £750 all in ( parts and labour ) for a new LuK Clutch and DMF fitting, thought it was a good price :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:12 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Mods: Pedders Suspension Lift,Bertye straight pipe back box replacement, Bridgestone Duelers on 16" wheels
Andy Shepherd wrote:
I paid £750 all in ( parts and labour ) for a new LuK Clutch and DMF fitting, thought it was a good price :smile:

That is a good price Andy :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

fasthearse wrote:
Thanks for the replies, got a big can of erg cleaner which wont do it any harm to give it a good soaking, just ran through a can of BG244 and then a full tank of BP ultimate (would have used them together but the garage down the bottom has only just changed to BP normally run on Shell)

Will have a look at the sensor,now that I am thinking the clutch does have a bit of a judder when pulling away so it could 2 and 2 together,whats the going rate for a DMF and clutch fitted?(if it is that I can get a new rear crankshaft oil seal fitted at the same time,trying to look at it as a positive!)

Do you get any EML light on ??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 pm 
Off Roader

no lights, and no codes when I scan it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 pm 
Off Roader

so this morning I did a fuel pump relean before I took a trailer load of fire wood over to a mates place on the drive over it felt fine no miss or hesitation came back and took the crankshaft sensor out to have a look and see what that was like, it was fine maybe 2 bits of metal stuck to it so cleaned that up then took it for a test drive and it ran great,loads of power so came back changed the oil and filter and ran a can of erg through and it runs lovely so fingers crossed its going to continue running good as it was intermittent.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 pm 
Off Roader

Model: Sport 2.2Di
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Blue
Mods: OBD2 please talk to me
Additive in the Diesel to clean your injectors.
Works wonders as diesel fuel this year hasn't been the best due to cold weather