All times are UTC [ DST ]

My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Oil Change Frequency
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:59 pm 

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Tekna DCi
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: blue
My T31 Tekna M9R has a recommended oil change interval of 12 months or 18k miles. I do about 7000 miles a year and the vehicle has just clocked up 62,000 miles. I've owned it for 6 months. I'm thinking about doing oil changes more frequently than recommended - say every 5000 miles. The objective is to reduce engine wear and associated problems. Does anyone have views on whether this is a good idea ?
Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Oil Change Frequency
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Great idea :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:07 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Normally, they say something like "12,000 miles or 12 months". (i.e. they give a time limit even if it doesn't clock up the miles). This is because oils deteriorate with time as well as use. The antioxidants become exhausted whether you drive the car or not. However, I'm not sure that changing it twice a year will doo much - other than ensure that long after the body has rotted off and you can't get spares for it, the engine is still running! Unless T31s have a reputation for ruining engines prematurely, why bother trying to make the engine outlive the car?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I bought my T31 with 135k kms on the clock. Service book said 30k km or 18k miles. And it is done that way. I got hold on to an Australian training manual for the M9R. And there is recommendation to change oil every 10k kms/6k miles. http://ahto42.planet.ee/M9RTrainingManual.pdf
Now there is 168k kms on the clock and i have done 3 oils changes and 2 fuel filter changes- every autum.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:13 pm 

Model: T31 Tekna DCi
Colour: blue
Thanks all for input. Very useful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:32 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Bonavista Edition
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Sunlit sand
I say it depends upon the oil and the quality of the oil filter you are using, not to mention the driving conditions. I could literally pay less than a third of what I do for engine oil. Same deal for the filter. Oil is cheap and a wear item. Engine repairs are expensive. You should physically check your oil every week for appearance and level. I personally won't go over 6 month or 9000 km intervals with full synthetic for a daily driver.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am 
Soft Roader

Oil deteriorates with time, use and type of driving/journeys. Once contaminated by use it tends to deteriorate faster. Do a lot of one type of driving and certain additives (such as anti-foaming or detergent) can deplete faster than others, leaving the engine less protected. The argument in favour of more expensive/higher quality oils used to be that there were more of the expensive additives than in cheaper. On the other hand it was claimed that cheap oils tended to be optimised for short journeys. Some sources also claim that quality oil reduces the need for DPF regeneration.

Don't know how true those claims are/were, but experience suggests that there may be truth in them. When I ran a company car under a 4 year or 80k mile replacement policy, the first year servicing was always with a main dealer with subsequent services at whatever garage offered the company a decent deal. I always insisted on an engine flush with filter change, synthetics and semi-synthetics remained cleaner for much longer in use than cheaper oils. Clean oil must be better for the engine and emissions.

My T31 M9R is comparatively low mileage use, but I maintain a 6k/12 months engine service interval, good quality oil and a decent filter. It's a cheap precaution compared to the cost of any engine repair.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:30 pm 
Xtrail Nut

AMB wrote:
Oil deteriorates with time, use and type of driving/journeys. Once contaminated by use it tends to deteriorate faster. Do a lot of one type of driving and certain additives (such as anti-foaming or detergent) can deplete faster than others, leaving the engine less protected. The argument in favour of more expensive/higher quality oils used to be that there were more of the expensive additives than in cheaper. On the other hand it was claimed that cheap oils tended to be optimised for short journeys. Some sources also claim that quality oil reduces the need for DPF regeneration.

Don't know how true those claims are/were, but experience suggests that there may be truth in them. When I ran a company car under a 4 year or 80k mile replacement policy, the first year servicing was always with a main dealer with subsequent services at whatever garage offered the company a decent deal. I always insisted on an engine flush with filter change, synthetics and semi-synthetics remained cleaner for much longer in use than cheaper oils. Clean oil must be better for the engine and emissions.

My T31 M9R is comparatively low mileage use, but I maintain a 6k/12 months engine service interval, good quality oil and a decent filter. It's a cheap precaution compared to the cost of any engine repair.

It's certainly true that higher quality oils stay useable for longer. My company Sharan will tell me it wants a service after about 18.000 miles when on the expensive "long life" oil, but sooner if I use the cheaper stuff. It's important that we balance the trade-off between optimum engine protection and environmental damage though. If everyone decided to halve their service intervals, that's twice the amount of waste oil to deal with each year! (Not that you'll hear the motor trade, oil manufacturers and filter manufacturers complaining too vociferously...)!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:29 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Strange thing is that the training manual recommends at 6k miles. Dealer says 18k miles. As a hobby mechanic an enginer, I believe that the long service intervals are advertisement for low mainteain cost for selling cars. Here where I live, many dealers have by them self devided the service interval by half. Many just doing oil+filter change between 20k miles. Reason for that is that the chains does not last over 50k miles, Especialy on the PSA/BMW 1.6 petrol and diesel engines.
The winter climate is bad here, at night -15 to -20c and at day, -5.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 am 
Xtrail Nut

Ahto42 wrote:
Strange thing is that the training manual recommends at 6k miles. Dealer says 18k miles. As a hobby mechanic an enginer, I believe that the long service intervals are advertisement for low mainteain cost for selling cars. Here where I live, many dealers have by them self devided the service interval by half. Many just doing oil+filter change between 20k miles. Reason for that is that the chains does not last over 50k miles, Especialy on the PSA/BMW 1.6 petrol and diesel engines.
The winter climate is bad here, at night -15 to -20c and at day, -5.

That's interesting. I've had timing chain trouble (plastic end snapped off one of the long guides) and I've had vacuum pump chain trouble. I have also always changed the oil at 12,000 miles. That said, on my old Alfa I also only ever changed the oil at the recommended interval and that had done a quarter of a million miles by the time I scrapped the car! We don't get the extremes of climate here though = especially on the West coast. It is rarely below -5 degrees. I think I've only seen -10 once in my life!