All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Springs, shocks and bushes
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Hi everyone.

My 11 plate Exy now has 162k miles on the clock and is running fine but I am wondering about the suspension getting old now.

I am the third owner and do know it has never been used as an off roader just occasional across grass field.

My previous car was Saab which had 158k on it and suspension was still pretty good but some bushes needed replacing.

I've noticed going over any wide speed humps the back might bounce a little as if empty??? It travels fine when loaded and or towing my small trailer.

Will i notice much difference if I replace springs and shocks with stock items or will replacing any bushes (suggestions please) make a huge difference?

I don't want to do anything if a) it's not going to make much difference and b) it's going to cost a small fortune.

It's a 2011 Tekna 173 6 speed manual and with Celtic Tuning upgrade to 221 - which for the last 1500 miles has been excellent and improved the fuel economy.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Springs, shocks and bushes
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:32 am 
Extreme Off Roader

No thoughts or suggestions guys???

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0 dCi 173 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011 July
Colour: Haptic Blue
Mods: Hard trunkliner. Extreme roof rails with roof bars. "Rhino Rack" roof basket for the "Oz Tent". Left luggage drawer. "Dog Tent" thingy for a Yorkshire Terrorist. Front & rear parking sensers. Posh rugs. Protection Pack.
Do you not know a private local mechanic that could give it the once over for you & advise as to any repairs needed? Mine has just completed 25,000 miles! I must get out more, :-)

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:09 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail (Jeeves)
Model: T30 22YD ETI DDT DI SE+
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: silver
Mods: Duplex chain upgrade, EGR valve blanked off EGR allso set to off or ignore via ECU.
as youd expect built to take heavey weight but if it bounces more than 2.5 times or it seems uneven then yes maybe problem, the front obviously loaded with the engine and the back i would say has room for towing etc when overload they tend to waeve about have you tried just slowing down at speed bumps :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:09 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Inspection first.
Front wishbones are recommend to change the whole thing. The front bust is real PITA to press out and in. Plus the ball joint is going to be worn out too. But inspection with a pri bar first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:34 am 

Model: T31
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: Black
Mods: LED rear lights, leather interior, roof lights
My 2009 has just turned 166k and I’ve only had her just over a month as I needed a cheap replacement for my XC90 until I start my new job overseas. Just replaced both ball joints, trackrod ends, rear bushes ( not too bad if you have a good mechanic) but then found the front sub frame bushes had gone.... and I mean GONE! Used some old Land Rover ones as a “get me home” but have ordered replacements...

Hopefully yours have not worn quite so much ! I’ve used SuperPro bushes for the rear subframe (replaced as a precaution) and Powerflex for the rear arm bushes... will hopefully give longer service!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am 
Extreme Off Roader

nigethecat wrote:
My 2009 has just turned 166k and I’ve only had her just over a month as I needed a cheap replacement for my XC90 until I start my new job overseas. Just replaced both ball joints, trackrod ends, rear bushes ( not too bad if you have a good mechanic) but then found the front sub frame bushes had gone.... and I mean GONE! Used some old Land Rover ones as a “get me home” but have ordered replacements...

Hopefully yours have not worn quite so much ! I’ve used SuperPro bushes for the rear subframe (replaced as a precaution) and Powerflex for the rear arm bushes... will hopefully give longer service!

Cheers for that

Both lower suspension arms and track rods were replaced in Dec when I bought it and front see,s ok but it's just the back that seems light? If that make sense. I can see there are fat bushes just visible each side in front of rear wheels and wonder also if ARB bushes might be worn? Also do these have drop links at the back???? If I drive round a corner reasonably quick it sometimes feel like the back is going to go out with under steer and can do a little bunny hop on bumps.............. my Saab didn't do that but that was firm suspension.

In a way it's a case of do I do shocks and springs which all seem relatively cheap or do bushes first ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Bonavista Edition
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Sunlit sand
From the bunny hop observation, I would say yes your rear struts need replacing and are no longer doing the job. KYB recommends changing them at 90,000 kms intervals to maintain the like new handling of your car. I changed mine at 200,000 kms ( fronts when I was at 140,000) on my T30, and it made a far bigger difference than I thought to make the back end feel planted. Its very noticeable in a roundabout or taking a corner quickly, goes over bumps nicely, and really feels planted at speed. You will not regret replacing them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Quadraria wrote:
From the bunny hop observation, I would say yes your rear struts need replacing and are no longer doing the job. KYB recommends changing them at 90,000 kms intervals to maintain the like new handling of your car. I changed mine at 200,000 kms ( fronts when I was at 140,000) on my T30, and it made a far bigger difference than I thought to make the back end feel planted. Its very noticeable in a roundabout or taking a corner quickly, goes over bumps nicely, and really feels planted at speed. You will not regret replacing them.

Cheers - thanks for that - I did wonder.

It doesn't actually look an expensive task to do - my local garage are very good. Parts don't seem expensive and may well just do springs as well while struts are off. Any recommendations on best make to use (obviously apart from Nissan parts)??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Bonavista Edition
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Sunlit sand
Not sure for the T31 but KYB's are very good. Should not be any need to replace the springs unless they are damaged, just the struts on both sides of the same axle. And, if doing the fronts replace the top mounts as well. You will enjoy the difference it makes to the ride.