It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Front wipers parked position
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm 
Soft Roader

Having a bit of trouble with my front wipers developing a mind of their own recently and traced the issue to the copper electrical contacts inside the plastic housing on the wiper motor.

Appears that water ingress is a fairly common issue (design flaw) and nearly £400 for a new motor as this part is not available separately :shock:

Anyway I've managed to clean the contacts and dry out the housing and it seems to work but I'm struggling to get the wipers to park in the correct place.

I have refitted the arms with the motor in the park position but when turning on the wipers they hit the plastic top cowl when they go to the lowest position.

I've noticed that, when the wipers are switched off, they go to the bottom of the screen and the raise again slightly, it would be ok if they stopped at their bottom position. Perhaps it's knackered and I have to replace the motor but rather not.

Please can anyone tell me what their wipers do when they go to the park position; do they go to the bottom of the screen and then up again slightly, or stay put?

Also, if anyone knows if these copper contacts should be greased I'd be grateful.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Front wipers parked position
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
When I bought mine just over a year ago it arrived on trailer and as it came off the wipers simply stopped and it was raining - good old cut potato saved the day but then hunt for a new motor.

I managed to find a second-hand one in good nick and my garage fitted - pretty quickly. Think it was around 100 quid and previous garage coughed up as I said car wasn't roadworthy :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 pm 
Soft Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
When I bought mine just over a year ago it arrived on trailer and as it came off the wipers simply stopped and it was raining - good old cut potato saved the day but then hunt for a new motor.

I managed to find a second-hand one in good nick and my garage fitted - pretty quickly. Think it was around 100 quid and previous garage coughed up as I said car wasn't roadworthy :)

Thanks for your reply.

From my research it appears that this is a common problem and a plainly ridiculous design fault.

I'm loath to buy a used motor as it may be just as bad as the one I have.

Can you tell me if your wipers, when you turn them off, go to the bottom of their travel and then rise slightly to park or, do they go to the bottom and park straight away?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Hi. Did you remove the crank arm off the motor when you removed it?

You will need to remove the crank arm from the motor. Run the wipers then switch off and allow to park. Turn off ignition. Refit crank arm with wiper arms in parked position. You should find motor crank arm and wiper linkage in straight alignment at this point.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if not and I'll try and clarify.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 am 
Soft Roader

Colster wrote:
Hi. Did you remove the crank arm off the motor when you removed it?

You will need to remove the crank arm from the motor. Run the wipers then switch off and allow to park. Turn off ignition. Refit crank arm with wiper arms in parked position. You should find motor crank arm and wiper linkage in straight alignment at this point.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if not and I'll try and clarify.

Yes I did remove it. I'll give this a try and feed back. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I do not see here that it is a very common fault and not on australian forum and on russian forums. Wiper motors go bad on every make and model.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
johnbuck wrote:
Norfolk Jim wrote:

Can you tell me if your wipers, when you turn them off, go to the bottom of their travel and then rise slightly to park or, do they go to the bottom and park straight away?

NO mine were fine - parked at bottom and stayed there. The second-hand motor came with 6 months warranty but has been fine (touch wood). You can replace 4 for price of new

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 am 
Soft Roader

Ahto42 wrote:
I do not see here that it is a very common fault and not on australian forum and on russian forums. Wiper motors go bad on every make and model.

Thanks for your response.
Yes, I would agree, all electrical motors can go bad although, a wiper motor shouldn't be able to admit water into its electrical components and mix with the grease. I suppose you have a different definition of 'common' to me.
I have found many instances of owners with the same problem on the internet and there is mention of it in a thread on this forum hence my use of the term 'common'.
My local Nissan dealer also knew exactly what I was talking about when I enquired about the price of a new motor, so it isn't a first for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:00 am 
Soft Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
johnbuck wrote:
Norfolk Jim wrote:

NO mine were fine - parked at bottom and stayed there. The second-hand motor came with 6 months warranty but has been fine (touch wood). You can replace 4 for price of new

That's good to know, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:41 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
Ahto42 wrote:

Yeah first time I've heard of it too.

I guess I'm tempting fate saying that!

:lol: